Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2018, 10:57 PM

Default create playback track

Hi! There is a certain song I like a lot, and I would like to create a playback track so I can sing my own lyrics on the same music. All the vocal removal plugins I tried don't really work. Is there a software that can help me easily replicate the music?
Old 11-17-2018, 11:03 PM

Default Re: create playback track

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2 View Post
Is there a software that can help me easily replicate the music?

Define "easily".

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 11-17-2018, 11:09 PM

So far, when i wanted to replicate a music, I would listen to the track, try to identify the sounds that were used, and replicate one track at a time. Very tedious work. I've been told that there are ways to do this easily, using Midi. Don't know, maybe a software that identifies the sounds being used and sets me up with similar virtual instruments? I might be dreaming, but I hope there is a way to do this easily
Old 11-18-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2 View Post
I hope there is a way to do this easily

Yeah, it's not really that easy to do it well - depending on what instruments are required. May not be too difficult for a musician experienced with Pro Tools like many users here, but it would still take time. It would be a great learning experience though!

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 02-16-2019, 10:31 PM

Hi! so i haven't gotten many replies to my question a while ago, maybe because such methods don't exist, maybe because i didn't phrase my question correctly.

Here's what got me started on this topic: I've been hearing musics created by someone I know, and the similarity between the musics he creates, and the original tracks he is trying to copy, are truly astonishing. I know that he is not a very qualified or experienced musician,as his musics just a short while ago were not that praiseworthy. He claims to have taken a training course in music replication, and wouldn't offer any more information, just that he does not put in a lot of work at all. He claims to have learnt the tricks how to simply recreate a complex music track with the right midi software. Do such shortcuts really exist? Or do i listen to a music and recreate it layer by layer without the vocals? Anyone?
Old 02-17-2019, 04:36 AM

In a piece of music with multiple instruments going on it's nigh on impossible to do what you want to do. With a single instrument it's relatively easy with pitch-to-MIDI conversion software. The minute you start getting more than that, especially with vocals then it becomes exponentially harder to do. There is no easy one-button-push bit of code that will do the job.

Then there's the legality of what you may be trying to do. Do you just want to recreate the sound of the backing tracks to use in your own compositions? Do you want to use the extracted tracks as-is? The latter is illegal the former is.

As Master Yoda would say: another way there is.
If you're looking to copy commercial music search the web for MIDI files of the music you seek. These are done by ordinary people by their own hand using General MIDI instruments. A lot of arrangements are lame and sound like a bad cover band/lounge music. But with time, effort, good sample libraries and a boatload of musical knowledge you could make something pallitable out of it. I did it with Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells and it was a nightmare that took over a year of on and off work, a lot of editing and more musical knowledge and player skills (my own on various instruments) to get it listenable. I only used the found MIDI file as a guide and replayed most everything to get to the final product. 40+ tracks.

QAPLA!
Old 02-20-2019, 08:26 AM

To add to what Jack said, there are some websites out there that offer up stems for remixes on lots of popular songs and artists. With those you can have most of the original instrument/drum tracks separately as well as seps for the vocal tracks. Here's one for example. You can Google for others.