Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2019, 08:03 AM

Default HUI and D-command?

Hello all-

Can D-command coexist with Hui?

I'm using a punchlight relay (which uses hui) for automatic talkback/listenback which is a workflow I really love- long story short it's setup so that the TB mic in the CR auto mutes on play and record, and the LB mic(s) in tracking room(s) auto mute only on record. Daw doesn't have to be open, so you can communicate 100% of the time.

In any case I'm eyeing a used D-command. After trying softube console 1, I really want a workflow that includes eq/dyn channel strip and with us begging for custom plugin mapping on eucon/s3/dock/artist for years now I'm ready to give up on waiting. Even the 8 channel D-command is a little big for me, and once again it's a bummer that Avid can't seem to get out of their own way, but it is what it is...

Any other suggestions for someone looking into a D-command? Is the ES worth the extra money? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2019, 04:27 PM

Default Re: HUI and D-command?

Given past experience, I'd guess it will work, but if it doesn't, you can still scrap the HUI without losing your automated talk-back and it won't cost a dime. Sound Radix has a free plugin(Mute-O-Matic) and can be set to mute when transport rolls(or when transport stops if you wish echo and reverbs would stop instantly). My full tracking setup has 3 talkback mics(#1 in CR, #2 over the drums and #3 in the main tracking room) all feeding separate AUX tracks in my session. All feed all 6 headphone mixes and 2/3 feed the main outs(so I hear them in the CR). You might also insert compression and EQ(for hi-pass). Check it out as you might prefer, this even if the old method still works

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-10-2019, 05:14 PM

Faders on the ES are upgraded and better feel. Up to you whether that's worth extra cost to you. 8 fader unit is not that big really...worth finding space for it.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Given past experience, I'd guess it will work, but if it doesn't, you can still scrap the HUI without losing your automated talk-back and it won't cost a dime. Sound Radix has a free plugin(Mute-O-Matic) and can be set to mute when transport rolls(or when transport stops if you wish echo and reverbs would stop instantly). My full tracking setup has 3 talkback mics(#1 in CR, #2 over the drums and #3 in the main tracking room) all feeding separate AUX tracks in my session. All feed all 6 headphone mixes and 2/3 feed the main outs(so I hear them in the CR). You might also insert compression and EQ(for hi-pass). Check it out as you might prefer, this even if the old method still works
I used muteomatic before, it's cool, but it doesn't have the ability open the listenback mic only on playback...it mutes rather in play, or record. With the punchlight setup I can still hear whoever is in the recording room during play, and the listenback mic only mutes when I hit record. Also full communication continues with no daw loaded.

Additionally I have a number of people working in my room and if talkback/listenback just works automatically it really saves me a lot of hassle of making sure they implement those tracks correctly in their templates. Plus it works with any other daw...
Old 08-10-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Faders on the ES are upgraded and better feel. Up to you whether that's worth extra cost to you. 8 fader unit is not that big really...worth finding space for it.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking...thanks for the input. Do you have any idea on the HUI thing? Thanks
Old 08-11-2019, 04:29 AM

D-Control here is working with PunchLight USB without problems.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningaround View Post
D-Control here is working with PunchLight USB without problems.
Perfect, thanks for that!