Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-19-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Quote:
^^ Hey man what firewire card did you use?

Me? Onboard Firewire is enabled but this was measured using the Mbox2. I haven´t tried the 002 with this system yet so I can´t say much about the onboard FW. It works with an external Maxtor FW drive, that much I know.

One note : there is a "power jump" at startup so these power numbers are not to be taken as real word facts. And this is a small setup, add more drives and cards and the consumption goes up fast. I have a Windmill 385W power supply unit from HEC, the voltages seem to keep steady.

I went back to standard 2000 Mhz clock for now. Just don´t feel comfortable pushing things so hard for no real reason, 25 % OC is more than I´ve ever managed to run on any system without toasting things or at least resetting bios. There`s still plenty of kick left at standard dual 2000 Mhz.

Gotta love the 7.01 with a dual core.

- i7 520 @ 3.6 GHz / P6T / XP32 / PTLE 8.01 . PT9 on Snow .
- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

I`m In The Band: www.ozofficial.com
My guitars are in tune : http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php
Old 12-21-2005, 04:09 PM

Hey guys, what's a good alternative for the ASPIRE X-Dreamer II case? I'm looking for something with similar features and price range, but without the clear plastic or tons of lights. If it doesn't have a temp gage I don't mind either, which means it would be cheaper also . Thanks.

I forgot to also ask, what should the minimum power supply wattage be for the Allenstein build? I can probably look for another case if I had an idea.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:37 AM

Howdy, newbie here...

I'm thinking of getting a new system to run my DIGI001 on.
Would anyone know if the following is compatable with the DIGI001 (and Protools LE 6.4)...

Intel® Pentium® D Dual Core processor 830
3.0 GHz, 2 x 1MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP2

1024 MB DDR2 SDRAM with 533 MHz
64 Bit dual channel memory

250 GB hard disk 8MB cache
S-ATA 150 Interface super fast 7200 rpm

2x DVB-S digital satellite reception2
2x DVB-T digital TV everywhere3
2x analogue TV/ cable TV

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6700 XL
High-end graphics card
TV out connections via:
SCART, S-Video, Composite or Component
(YUV; YPrPb) High Definition
Super fast GDDR3 memory at 1,100MHz.
NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6700 XL
Graphics processor with 525 MHz
128 MB PCI Express x16 bus concept

8 Intel® High Definition Audio channel
for digital home cinema experience with ideal sound 7

thanks a lot for any help you might be able to give..

- Alan
Old 12-22-2005, 11:59 AM

i hope you wont be too annoyed at my newbie question but i did search before i decided to ask. i want to build my own AMD dual core system. and to make a long story short i was hoping you could send me a list of all the compatiable parts i should get( know how to build a machine but i want one just like yours.. that way i wont run into any surprises). i currently use a dell 2.8hz with a 1gig of ram and its pretty smooth so thats is fine but i got pt 7 upgrade for my digi002 and i wanna jump into the dual processor world. so with that being sad, my budget is medium range dont want cheap parts but i dont want to spend more than 1000 if possible if you feel it will take more for a really good and quiet machine i will just go with the digi dell suggested machine.
thanks in advacne for any input you do offer...

[email protected]
Old 12-22-2005, 02:22 PM

The first post on the first page of this thread is kept up-to-date with these details.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Asus A8N-E?

Hey Everyone

I live in Denmark. I've searched the net for the Asus A8N-E, but there's no such thing. In Europe the A8N series are called:

Asus A8N
Asus A8N-SLI
Asus A8N-SLI deluxe

Can everyone tell me which one i should buy?

- Rune
Old 12-23-2005, 03:25 PM

Quote:
^^ Hey man what firewire card did you use?
Onboard FW works for the 002R for me.

Quote:
Hey Everyone

I live in Denmark. I've searched the net for the Asus A8N-E, but there's no such thing. In Europe the A8N series are called:

Asus A8N
Asus A8N-SLI
Asus A8N-SLI deluxe

Can everyone tell me which one i should buy?

- Rune

With the DeLuxe version you have the USB and Firewire already working, based on my experiences they work with Mbox2 and Digi002R. No extra cards needed.

Cheers.

- i7 520 @ 3.6 GHz / P6T / XP32 / PTLE 8.01 . PT9 on Snow .
- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

I`m In The Band: www.ozofficial.com
My guitars are in tune : http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php
Old 12-26-2005, 06:44 PM

Hey first post, not a musician or anyone that uses these types of systems but I do build them and I have some idea's and questions.

The only thing I would change is the Windows XP Home, as it does not support Dual Core CPU's, XP Home supports only Hyperthreading, XP Pro would be the way to maximize the performance of that cpu.

If that's not a choice then save your self some money and go AMD64 CPU on an Asus A8N-E Motherboard and keep the rest the same.

Someone also asked about cases I have used Lian Li cases and recommend them as sturdy cases though you will need to switch some fans out and or turn them off as they are not quiet systems. The best so far has to be the Antec Take 4 4u rackmount case. This case is dead silent and rack mountable. The case comes with a 450 watt smart psu, and two large fans that are silent yet move a decent ammount of air. The only problem with the antec case is that it is $260.00 Cdn which is less than Lian-li cases but still on the steep side. But if you want the best rack mountable workstation the Antec Case is the way to go.

When I build the systems for my customers, I configure windows and I wonder if anyone has any additional tips for performance other than what I am doing.

I do the following,

1) Set the system for best performance in the system properties - performance tab, this turns off all the Windows XP GUI effects.

2) Set the Page file to 1 1/2 times the ammount of physical memory and put it on a seperate drive.

3) Turn off auto updates, windows firewall (system is internet disabled) and anti-virus notification in the Windows Security applet in the control panel.

4) Enable DMA on the hard disks, though this is usally enabled by default.

Any additional things I could be doing to maximize performance?

This is the system that is currently being built.

AMD 64X2 4400 with 2x1MB L2 Cache
2 GB of PC3200 DDR (Kingston)
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard
1 - 160 GB WD SATA2 HDD
1 - 320 GB WS SATA1 HDD
MSI Geforce 6600 LE 256MB PCIE Graphics
Antec 4U Rack Mount Case with 450W Silent PSU
LG 16X Dual Layer DVD+-/RW DVD Burner

I hope this system will be fast enough.... It better be
Old 12-28-2005, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Ok I did a little bit of research and I also got word that I can stretch the budget. I'll be purchasing everything on the first page except for the processor that was recommended, the ram and HDs. I'll be purchasing a 64 x2 3800+, two seagate drives and I already have the kingston ram.

I'll keep you guys posted on the situation.
Be interested to know your experience with the Seagate drives. My real job involves supporting about 400 PC's, and the Seagate's are definitely not as long lasting as the WD's.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:40 AM

Hi there, I'm in the process of switching from Mac to building a PC, and will be using Mbox2 PTLE 7. I've been reading all your expert advices, and I wonder if anyone has experience with just using an off-the-shelf Dell desktop for Protools...'coz i'm seeing some pretty good deals for Dell. Or is it better off to build my own with Allenstein specs? Your recommedations and advices will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!