Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2016, 01:55 PM

Default Dither for YouTube / Vimeo

Hello All,

I'm wondering about everyone's dither process when working with sound for video. Specifically when it comes to web based material (where ultimately all of my media is showcased).

Most often I will work in PT and my session will be at 24 / 48k. I will have an L2 at the very last step on my master bus. I select 24bit dither but I was always unsure if that was correct. I usually then take my final audio and import that along with my final video file into Premiere. I sometimes do fade in/outs in Premiere and began to question if I should be dithering in Premiere as opposed to PT. I'm just somewhat confused because Premiere is ultimately where I do my audio compression (from 24 /48 WAV) to AAC 320kbps / 48K.

I'm doing the tedious task of making all my videos more even in terms of loudness from video to video (and close to 16 LUFS). I don't want to have to to this all over again so I just want to know if I'm dithering at the proper point.

Any insight would be great.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Dither for YouTube / Vimeo

If your session is at 24 bit, and Premier accepts a 24 bit file to work on, then I would use no dither in Pro Tools. The only time you NEED dither is when you are reducing the bit rate, like going going from a 24 bit file to a 16 bit file, to burn onto an audio CD.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-02-2016, 02:48 PM

Exclamation Re: Dither for YouTube / Vimeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusep View Post
Most often I will work in PT and my session will be at 24 / 48k. I will have an L2 at the very last step on my master bus. I select 24bit dither but I was always unsure if that was correct.
If you are bouncing out a 24bit file, using any dither on the master fader is incorrect.

Quote:
I usually then take my final audio and import that along with my final video file into Premiere. I sometimes do fade in/outs in Premiere and began to question if I should be dithering in Premiere as opposed to PT. I'm just somewhat confused because Premiere is ultimately where I do my audio compression (from 24 /48 WAV) to AAC 320kbps / 48K.
This depends upon whether or not Premiere automatically uses dither for fade operations. In Pro Tools, this is an option in the fade dialog window. I have no idea if or where this option exists in Premiere.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-02-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
If you are bouncing out a 24bit file, using any dither on the master fader is incorrect.
Thanks for the info, I was bouncing out a 24 bit track.

When I import the 24/48 file into Premiere and export the audio (embedded with the video) I compress down the audio from 24/48 wav to AAC/320kbps/48kHz. These are Vimeo's audio suggestions. So I assume the only place to dither would be within Adobe Premiere correct, since this is where my audio compression is taking place?
Old 01-03-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I was bouncing out a 24 bit track.

When I import the 24/48 file into Premiere and export the audio (embedded with the video) I compress down the audio from 24/48 wav to AAC/320kbps/48kHz. These are Vimeo's audio suggestions. So I assume the only place to dither would be within Adobe Premiere correct, since this is where my audio compression is taking place?
The AAC encoder accepts 24-bit audio, so no dithering is required.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
The AAC encoder accepts 24-bit audio, so no dithering is required.
I think this is correct. In fact, dithering may negatively impact the AAC encoding by artificially adding noise to the signal? Although it's also possible the low-level noise introduced by dithering is part of what AAC throws out anyway?