Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-03-2010, 05:10 PM
dr sound's Avatar
dr sound dr sound is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,117
Default How To : The ADR Gospel

While we all feel software will cure all, for good ADR you need
"The 4 P's:
"Pitch:
You need the Actors to get their pitch correctly when performing in an ADR Stage. When Actors are in front of a crew and the camera they typically have a higher pitched voice because the are the focus of the moment. Get their pitch correct by directing them on the ADR stage

Performance
This is the area where you see if you have a seasoned Pro. If the Actor can recreate his/her performance in a room while looking at a screen and matching the cadence of the original. You would be surprised how may can't repeat their performance.

Placement
This is how and where you place the mic to duplicate the original recording. Was it boomed or is it a lav? How far away was the mic?

Placement
This is the placement of the lines once recorded back into the mix session making sure they are matched for sync on the Dialog session for the Re-Recording Mixer to mix.

If you do not follow the 4P's you will have ADR that sounds or looks wrong.
If you follow the 4 P's you will have a much better chance of the ADR blending into the soundtrack and being invisible to the audience.
Good Luck.
__________________
Marti D. Humphrey CAS
aka dr.sound
www.thedubstage.com
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-04-2010, 08:36 AM
ggegan ggegan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 389
Default Re: How To : The ADR Gospel

Vocal projection is a big issue with regard to performance. Vocal quality changes significantly depending on how much the actor pushes their voice.

ADR mixers have to be very careful about giving actors direction in order not to run afoul of the pecking order, but I often was able to surreptitiously alter the actor's delivery by raising or lowering the headphone level.

Higher level = more projection, lower level = softer delivery.
__________________
Gary Gegan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-04-2010, 09:25 AM
TVPostSound's Avatar
TVPostSound TVPostSound is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,203
Default Re: How To : The ADR Gospel

Under PLACEMENT, I would also add the the type of room the mic will be PLACED in!!!

Record talent in a shoe box, you will never EQ out the comb filtering.


Speaking of shoe boxes, why do I always get ADR from NY shot in closets???
Is real estate that tight??
__________________
IMDB
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Postman Postman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 2,370
Default Re: How To : The ADR Gospel

Quote:
why do I always get ADR from NY shot in closets??? Is real estate that tight??
Oh, pot shots from the other coast! I'd say your clients are not hiring the right places. Without knowing where your clients are working it is hard to comment except in general terms. Not everyone has "closets", but many do and the numbers are growing. I've gotten stuff from the west coast that was in a tiny room with a cheap microphone, so to imply it is only New York is not fair. I had a much longer post but I realized it will drag this thread off topic.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Ayush Ahuja Ayush Ahuja is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 75
Default Re: How To : The ADR Gospel

A finer detail which I find very important (as i'm in the process of dubs) is breathing - if they follow when they breathe in the guide audio and whether they say a line in one breath or two truly affects performance as well and can sometimes go unnoticed.

Yush
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Giftofsound Giftofsound is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 84
Default Re: How To : The ADR Gospel

This is a nice thread! Thanks dr. Sound. I agree with Yush. On lower budget projects a proper ADR script and ADR director are often non existent. Having subtle breaths , inhales, exhales, scoffs ect.. written into the ADR cues or at least recorded as a separate take for "breaths" or "vocal emotes" is very important. This is often an oversight and should not be if the ADR is meant to work!
__________________
Matt R. Sherman
Re-Recording Mixer/Sound Editor
http://www.giftofsound.ca
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Ayush Ahuja Ayush Ahuja is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 75
Default Re: How To : The ADR Gospel

Hi Matt,

Apart from a breath/vocal emotives track i was implying breathing patterns during dialogue delivery - sometimes a word is said during an exhale or an inhale, sometimes a pause doesn't have a breath and the next few words are said in the same breath - it really helps in matching performance and emotion.

Yush.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Giftofsound Giftofsound is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 84
Default Re: How To : The ADR Gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayush Ahuja View Post
i was implying breathing patterns during dialogue delivery ...
Right on! Tons of practical info in this thread!
__________________
Matt R. Sherman
Re-Recording Mixer/Sound Editor
http://www.giftofsound.ca
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2010, 04:37 PM
infiniteloop infiniteloop is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 436
Default Re: How To : The ADR Gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Under PLACEMENT, I would also add the the type of room the mic will be PLACED in!!!
Speaking of shoe boxes, why do I always get ADR from NY shot in closets???
Is real estate that tight??
Haven't you been? It really is extremely tight! You should go, and when you get into your hotel room, try to reconcile that it isn't the entrance hall you're in, but the entire room! I once stayed at The Paramount and myself and my wife had to exit the bed on the same side.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-04-2010, 05:09 PM
philper philper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: ALbany CA USA
Posts: 981
Default Re: How To : The ADR Gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
While we all feel software will cure all, for good ADR you need
"The 4 P's:
"Pitch:
You need the Actors to get their pitch correctly when performing in an ADR Stage. When Actors are in front of a crew and the camera they typically have a higher pitched voice because the are the focus of the moment. Get their pitch correct by directing them on the ADR stage

Performance
This is the area where you see if you have a seasoned Pro. If the Actor can recreate his/her performance in a room while looking at a screen and matching the cadence of the original. You would be surprised how may can't repeat their performance.

Placement
This is how and where you place the mic to duplicate the original recording. Was it boomed or is it a lav? How far away was the mic?

Placement
This is the placement of the lines once recorded back into the mix session making sure they are matched for sync on the Dialog session for the Re-Recording Mixer to mix.

If you do not follow the 4P's you will have ADR that sounds or looks wrong.
If you follow the 4 P's you will have a much better chance of the ADR blending into the soundtrack and being invisible to the audience.
Good Luck.
I say stickie this immediately.

Philip Perkins
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gospel Pop Demo almost ready for download Simon_Night 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 0 01-20-2004 01:31 AM
Best 88 wieghted keyboard for Black Gospel Son of David 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 6 04-03-2003 11:29 AM
Need advice... live Gospel! ctmartin Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 1 11-15-2002 10:34 PM
Recording Loud Gospel Choir JLEpperson Tips & Tricks 9 05-30-2002 08:26 AM
Gospel Music Anyone? saeblee 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 11 07-19-2001 05:38 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com