Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2009, 01:40 PM

Default TRS patchbays and phatom power

Hello,

I'm setting up a recording studio and found this problem.
The patchbay has only TRS stereo jacks, no XLR on it.

Considering I'll connect a XLR mic to the digi 003 pre amp that has to be connected on the other end to the patchbay as TRS and stay fixed, then go out of the patchbay as TRS and get into the recording room with a XLR end, is it possible to feed phantom power with this XLR-TRS-XLR wiring ?

Thanks !

JMA
Old 03-21-2009, 03:23 PM

Default Re: TRS patchbays and phatom power

Certainly possible but I'm not so sure its good for the 003(or any other phantom powered mic pre). Some workarounds; use an external phantom supply out near the microphones, or get/build and XLR patch panel. Or maybe reconsider how you have things patched. I get by just fine without a patchbay in my room(but YMMV) as I have 2 lines from my vocal booth into 2 channels of a Focusrite ISA428(with compressors inserted), 8 channels in my drum room always feed 1 thru 8 of a Presonus Firestudio. 9&10 in the drum room always feed 3&4 of the ISA428. My Motif is always patched into 1&2 of the DIGI003. With lots of outboard gear, a patchbay makes a lot of sense but all my work is "in the box". Other opinions are welcome. In any case, I bet this is done every day in someone's studio. Just make sure you know phantom is off before patching in a ribbon mic(always good advice).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunmanuek View Post
Hello,

I'm setting up a recording studio and found this problem.
The patchbay has only TRS stereo jacks, no XLR on it.

Considering I'll connect a XLR mic to the digi 003 pre amp that has to be connected on the other end to the patchbay as TRS and stay fixed, then go out of the patchbay as TRS and get into the recording room with a XLR end, is it possible to feed phantom power with this XLR-TRS-XLR wiring ?

Thanks !

JMA

i run multiple trs patchbays in my place and have all of my pre's accessible through them normaled to jacks in the tracking room and feed phantom to them all the time. the only concern here is not to pull or insert a patchcable w phantom on and when you shut it off give it a couple minutes or more to dissipate power efore you pull it.

keep your soldering and wiring neat and buy a cable tester!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
i run multiple trs patchbays in my place and have all of my pre's accessible through them normaled to jacks in the tracking room and feed phantom to them all the time. the only concern here is not to pull or insert a patchcable w phantom on and when you shut it off give it a couple minutes or more to dissipate power efore you pull it.

keep your soldering and wiring neat and buy a cable tester!
To explain a little further, if you insert with the phantom power turned on, you are shorting out the phantom power supply for a brief moment when you insert the TRS plug. This can fry something in your preamp.

To keep this from happening, I use only XLR connectors between mic and preamp.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:38 AM

I have a Switchcraft Studio Patch 9625

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StuPatch9625/

and I bought it specifically because it connects via dsub 25 pin connectors and transmits phantom power.

Make sure before you buy a patchbay you do your research, and don't buy a cheap one. As most patch bays are passive, the degredation of signal will come from crappy components that increase impedance and capacitance. Also you will find machine soldered points, and bad circutry.

Also a note on patchbays that have half normaled settings, without power you will get further degredation of signal as it is being split.

HTH
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1