Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 PM

Default can i use a guitar pedal as a preamp?

im using a mesa power amp i need to have as a spare rig but have no "pre amp". i have an inexpensive Art tube mp studio DI/mic pre , and a few quality dist stomp box. the combination set up actually sounds great but was wondering what qualifies as a true preamp and what signal it sends to the power amp(-10db or +4). i looked for different threads but no luck. thanks
Old 12-16-2008, 11:54 PM

Default Re: can i use a guitar pedal as a preamp?

bump
Old 12-17-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
bump
I would go Tube Preamp>Overdrive>Power amp. I think its important to have a tube in the first gain stage. If you play flat out and never use your volume knob then you may prefer Overdrive>Tube Pre> Power amp.

As too whats the right order.....You have "X" number of boxes-use whatever combination sounds the best.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 AM

I'm confused as to the nature of this post. If you are looking for basic guitar setup advice you are on the wrong website.

If you are asking if you can use a guitar peddle tube pre as a pre-amp for a microphone....

In theory you could, if you frankenstined some cables together, but mic cables are balanced and instrument cables are not, plug they operate at totally different impendance and levels. But hey, if you make it work and get some interesting sounds, well that would be worth posting with some links to the pictures and a sound sample.

In reality, whatever gets the job done gets the job done, it may not be the best sounding job.
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 PM

the wrong site? never! i wanted true gear heads opinion about a signal chain and some technical advice and knowledge which is why i trust most of the members here more than gearslutz and guitar forums.....people here seem to be more versed with gear being studio owners and former techs. im no noob and i value the opinions here more than any site. my view....the more engineers, the more combinations they have put together in studios, ...... guitar heads only tell me to buy new gear.. also, my intention was never running vox through the pedal.....it was for guitar.... cheers and thanks
Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
the combination set up actually sounds great but was wondering what qualifies as a true preamp and what signal it sends to the power amp(-10db or +4). i looked for different threads but no luck. thanks
-10db or +4 depends on the preamp. If you have XLR connectors or TRS, it is probably +4. If it has mono 1/4" connectors, then it's probably -10. One of my preamps with XLR connector is +0 output, which is similar to +4, but at a lower level.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:42 PM

ahhhh finally , thank you .