Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2001, 07:22 AM

Default TDM VS RTAS

My friend just installed his new Digi 001 system. He gets more plug-ins then me and I'm on TDM. I have a MIX card and an original farm (10 chips total). I've spent BOOCOOS more $$$$ than him.
Can someone tell me the benefits of using TDM over RTAS? PLEASE HELP!
Old 02-08-2001, 07:29 AM

Default Re: TDM VS RTAS

Expandability, ProControl, more pluins, more tracks, clients pay more $$ for "pro" configurations, etc......
Old 02-08-2001, 08:16 AM

RTAS plugins also sound a litle like poo
I own both and for demos RTAS is fine but they "tapp out" esp with many file and edits - be VERY glad you own a TDM system.
As ar as your friend goes,
just spend more money and get more plug ins than your friend has and rub it in his face.
you'll feel much better.
Old 02-10-2001, 01:20 AM

tapp out esp? what does that mean? and is there really a large audible difference between RTAS and TDM?
Old 02-10-2001, 11:55 AM

Actually, Adam many of the RTAS plugins, are also TDM equivalents. I have McDSP filterbank, compbank (very efficient), DUY and Bomb Factory plugs. It's only the waves Gold bundle that is dummied down for RTAS. Hell, i wouldn't pay $2,000 for the TDM equivalent anyway. Maybe people like you can throw away that kind of money. Very happy with my 001, and with new DSP cards around the corner that will embarrass the CURRENT TDM (3 year old chips)farm cards, the future looks bright. Oh, and heard many of the focusrite TDM plugs and they sound a lot like poo!!

haze
Old 02-10-2001, 03:02 PM

RTAS uses the host CPU, TDM uses the card. If you have a TDM system, you can use both TDM and RTAS plug-ins together to double the capacity. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

ps - what does poo really sound like?
Old 02-10-2001, 06:00 PM

I upgraded from the Version 3.4 to 4.0 AMIII to 001 and recently to Mix system over the last several years. The 001 is definatly is the biggest bang for the buck. We totally relly on Pro Tools now for our every day tracking and editing needs. I like my mix system but for the $4500 difference between the 001, not including interfaces, I feel that the mix is overpriced for what it is. I soon will add another mix card cause it actually tripples the CPU power. Digidesign did the right thing by including the RTAS use with TDM.

PS. poo sounds like SH*T!
Old 02-10-2001, 10:00 PM

I hadn't heard that Waves "dumbed down" their Gold Bundle RTAS plugins compared to TDM. Could you elaborate?

Several of their host-based versions offer 24/96K capability - which is non-existant for TDM (or RTAS). I would expect the huge priced difference between their host-based plugins and their TDM versions to be due more to the licensing costs of TDM (or the SDK cost).

I thought the only significant dumbing down between RTAS and TDM was the D-Verb. The Ren Reverb is so CPU intensive (as is the C4), I just find it a bit hard to believe it's "dumbed down".

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 02-11-2001, 07:48 AM

How can the Waves plugs possibly be "dumbed down?" The only difference between the TDM and RTAS version is whatever WaveShell you decide to use...DAE or RTAS.

Plus, I've performed direct comparisons of audio processed from within 001 and TDM...when you do that out-of-phase test, both processed audio files cancel each other out. Conclusion: there is no difference!
Old 02-11-2001, 06:25 PM

now that's the kind of stuff i like to hear