Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-21-2017, 06:16 AM

Default Vocalign vs Revoice

I searched and found comparisons but couldn't find the actual difference. Synchro Arts lists vocalign pro as "second generation" time alignment and revoice pro as "third generation." I've been looking into revoice and believe I would really only use the time alignment function (mostly) so I didn't upgrade. My question is: If you take out all the other functions and focus on time alignment...is there actually a difference in the "generations" of the two plugs?
Old 12-21-2017, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Vocalign vs Revoice

the chart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compare.jpg (9.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Revoice does much more than just aligning vocals. Pitch, harmonies too. It works outside of PT rather than an audio suite like VA.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 12-21-2017, 12:32 PM

I won't say I wouldn't use it if I had it, but I have my usuals that I go to for pitch correction. I know them and I'm good with them. Vocalign is my go to for major time alignment (if it's not something I can chop by hand). But that's what I'm wondering....is the "third generation" label they've applied just based on the easier workflow or is there some improved time alignment function over vocalign pro? If so, it might be worth the upgrade. The way they've laid it out, it implies I'm using old technology and revoice is improved. The labels are strictly on the time alignment tab so that makes me wonder what the difference is.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:35 AM

If anyone is interested, I heard back from the company and there is a difference in the time alignment function. Their email said that revoice pro uses third generation time alignment while vocalign pro is second. They said that the improvement allows revoice to align phrases that vocalign pro and project would fail to process correctly.

This brings up an issue to me since they are still selling vocalign pro and project. Most companies improve their technology and offer updates/upgrades. This company is still selling old technology and not integrating it into other versions. I would think you would either update the vocalign series or shelve them and focus on revoice. Granted they are not hiding it (I guess). If you find the comparison chart on their site, it does show a difference. But, the different generations aren't explained and it could be construed as just a timeline of their products (first came project, second came pro, third came revoice). It just seems odd to me that they are selling what they've identified as old technology at full price.

In the end, I'll probably upgrade because it will help my workflow and I usually have to have the "latest and greatest," it just erks me that the company wouldn't upgrade vocalign pro to "third generation" or discontinue it to focus on the best for the client.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 01-13-2018, 07:14 AM

While I have no wish to share in a debate on the hows and whys of marketing and development choices, I can say, I own them both, and Revoice gets all the attention here.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com