Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 AM

Default HD Native Thunderbolt question

Hey guys

For talking sake I know Pro Tools HD can run without having the HD Native Thunderbolt connected.

I don't own PT HD but would love to make the step up from 11 to 11 HD

I know the options are source a licence or purchase a HD Native thunderbolt

My question is by using the HD Native Thunderbolt box what would I actually be gaining over say doing a upgrade from the CPTK 2 to Pro Tools 11 HD with no hardware ?

What exactly is the HD Native Hardware doing ?

It's confusing me.

Thanks all

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 01-06-2015, 12:20 PM

Default Re: HD Native Thunderbolt question

You would have to stop using your Apogee and buy Avid interface to use HDN Thunderbolt. You would get more maximum I/O (64) and precise ADC for external inserts.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 01-06-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
You would have to stop using your Apogee and buy Avid interface to use HDN Thunderbolt. You would get more maximum I/O (64) and precise ADC for external inserts.
So I would really just be buying it for the software and not use the HD native box ?

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
Adams A77x
Old 01-06-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrie View Post
So I would really just be buying it for the software and not use the HD native box ?
Yes, in case you don't want to buy an HD interface. It can be 3rd party interface as well (such as Apogee Rosetta800 with XHD card), as long as it uses the DigiLink connection. You can't use HDN box without an interface connected.

Cheapest system would be HDN box with OMNI interface, that'd get you started.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes, in case you don't want to buy an HD interface. It can be 3rd party interface as well (such as Apogee Rosetta800 with XHD card), as long as it uses the DigiLink connection. You can't use HDN box without an interface connected.

Cheapest system would be HDN box with OMNI interface, that'd get you started.
I was under the impression that once you obtained the HD software and licence in a iLoK account it coukd be used with any interface without the need of the HD Native box ?

If this is the case then what exactly is the HD-Native box doing is it basically a thunderbolt bridge ?

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
Adams A77x
Old 01-07-2015, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrie View Post
I was under the impression that once you obtained the HD software and licence in a iLoK account it coukd be used with any interface without the need of the HD Native box ?

If this is the case then what exactly is the HD-Native box doing is it basically a thunderbolt bridge ?
Yes, you can use the HD software with any interface that has compatible drivers.

HD|native connects to HD interfaces just like HD(TDM) cards or HDX cards, therefore the complete system is a combination of HD license, HDN box and HD interface(s). The box itself does very little besides connecting HD interfaces to the computer. It has a nice headphone output, but the firmware still doesn't allow to use it without a HD interface connected.

Essentially, the HDN thunderbolt product is a HDN PCI-express card housed in a thunderbolt box.

Last edited by JFreak; 01-07-2015 at 02:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 AM

As mentioned, the HD Native box (or PCIe card version), is primarily just for connecting HD interfaces. However, there are a couple of benefits, but they may not be of interest to you.

1. By using the HD Native box, you can connect up to 64 inputs and outputs (of course this is only by using more HD interfaces). Whereas you are limited to 32 in/out without the box (even though you are still using the HD software). This may not be an issue to you, since you mentioned you are using the Ensemble, which doesn't even max out the 32 ins/outs you are already allowed.

2. You are able to use advanced functions and peripherals like Satellite Link, Video Satellite, and Sync HD. However, these are mainly of benefit to film/video post production users, and again may not be of interest to you.

3. If you have any outboard hardware gear that you want to use as inserts, you would have the advantage of using an HD system which automatically delay compensates for hardware inserts just like it was a plugin (only HD systems do this. Otherwise the latency must be entered manually). And again, this is only with HD interfaces.

The only possible way to get the best of both worlds, would be to use the HD Native box and HD interfaces, and possibly use the Ensemble in a standalone mode for extra preamps and conversion. I'm not sure exactly what the capabilities are for that box, but it may be doable, as the older Ensemble was.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:11 AM

It is my understanding that you get improved latency when recording with hardware connected via the HDN box as well.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 01-07-2015, 10:42 AM

That has generally been the case. However, the new Ensemble latency is pretty impressive as well.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the replays guys the main reason I need PT HD is for the extra track count among over reasons

I am really happy with the apogee converters and the latency of 1.1 96khz

It's a great interface so I would rather not go down the hardware route if I can help it as I have a lot of processing power in my trash can Mac 6core 32gb

I was really just confused about what the native box was but it makes sense now.

If need be I will go for the native to get the software and then just run my ensemble and another pre amps :)

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
Adams A77x