Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Has anyone figured this out yet?

I have an m-audio firewire 1814, pro tools m-powered 7, my laptop, and an external hard drive. I was wondering if anyone ever figured out why when i daisy chain my equipment i get popping noises while recording. I hook my external hard drive to my laptop via firewire and then my m-audio 1814 to my external hard drive. When I open a session from my external hard drive, i get popping while recording. So i have to save a copy of the session to my computers h/d and then record from there, which really sux. Is there a way to fix the popping so i can work from my external?????

Seth
Old 05-26-2006, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Has anyone figured this out yet?

I ran into a similar problem, not sure if it is what you are experiencing. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and an external Acomdata E5 drive with both Firewire and USB 2.0 ports. I first started using it via its Firewire port but would get bursts of static recorded on all tracks every second or so. I noticed this coincided with the drive's light going on, so basically every time something was being written to the hard drive, it made noise that got onto the Firewire bus somehow.

I solved it by switching to the USB 2.0 port for the Hard drive. I don't know if it is the Acomdata drive's Firewire port that is noisy or if it is my Dell's port, but the problem went away with the USB 2.0 port, which is just as fast anyway. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:17 PM

I'm running a fw410 connected to a dell latitude d505 (1.4g celeron). I've tried connecting different orders and also different pcmcia card adapters. I have the same problems, have discussed them here, and with the m-audio online support. M-audio says I'm overloading the 1394 bus, which seems hard to beleive since that config works fine when connected to my ibook g3 900. They did suggest recording to a usb 2.0 drive, i've been recording to the internal (super slow) drive. Maybe it's the MS implementation 1394; who knows?? Wish I could say, "Yes, I had that problem, here's how I fixed it."

spkguitar says his setup works, but I can't recall what his system is. He posts quit a bit in these parts.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:00 PM

It seems like it might be a problem with that particiular hardware; the 1814 or the fw410.

I have the Ozonic; hooks up via firewire, and I daisy chain it thusly: PC->hard drive->Ozonic.
I don't own the 1814, but I have had one hooked up to my system (I have a friend who has one) and I didn't have the problems mentioned in these threads.

It is very important that the firewire drive have the Oxford 911 firewire chipset.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-27-2006, 08:41 PM

Hi spkguitar,
Thanks for chiming in on this again. I do indeed have the oxford 911 chipset. Was your friend's system a laptop or tower?
Old 05-27-2006, 10:15 PM

I went through this with my 1814 and emachies 6805. Using a usb2 hard drive solves the problem. I think it is terrible that a firewire drive won't work on the same bus, but for now I have to go along wiht it until they find a fix. I bought a pcmcia card with the TI chipset as they suggested, and I can actaully run a firewire drive off of there and the 1814 on the built in firewire port of the laptop, but since I know the usb 2 works and I mostly record live shows with no chance to fix a messed up recording, I don't try it. But usb 2 uses mroe processor power than firewire, so when I am mixing I usually use it as firewire. If you search my posts on this from a few months ago you'll read the whole saga...
Old 05-28-2006, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Hi spkguitar,
Thanks for chiming in on this again. I do indeed have the oxford 911 chipset. Was your friend's system a laptop or tower?
My friend uses his with a laptop; the Gateway that is almost identical to the m6811 that I have (I forget the model number). But I had it hooked up to my m6811 laptop as well. We were using the built in firewire interface on both laptops. No problems.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12