Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2011, 06:15 PM

Default Pro Tools 9 iLok Authorization Error! Cannot run PT 9.02

I've had Pro Tools installed for a few days now. I got it early last week and I completed all my updates to 9.02. PT had been working fine for a few days. I didn't make any changes to the USB Dongle, but when I go to boot up PT today I immediately get an iLok authorization error. PT will not load because of this.

I can't figure out why (seemingly all of a sudden) I'm getting this error. My dongle is lit up blue. I've moved it to other available USB ports and it turns on and lights up - but I get the SAME error.

In addition, I went to ilok.com and the site can recognize my ilok and PT license. Windows 7 x64 recognizes the dongle and says it's working correctly - but PT acts like it's not there!

Can anyone recommend a solution for this? I've done the database dump to try to resolve this but to no avail. PLEASE HELP!

Note: My computer clock went ahead 1 hour due to daylight savings time - might that have any impact on this issue!??!

On a soapbox side note: I'm new to PT having been a long time user of another popular DAW that DOES NOT authorize copies with a dongle. Avid SERIOUSLY needs to reconsider program security/validation with the dongle. A: It's an extra expense. (It came with my retail PT 9 box, but the USB costs money. B: It doesn't deter hackers as versions of PT 9 are posted all over the web. C: When it fails, it's creates a negative customer experience for those people like me who have laid their hard earned money down to buy a licensed copy of your product. Any more downtime and I'll have to revert back to my former DAW because I can't be staring at errors when I need to be working through my projects!
  • EVGA P67 SLI
  • Memory, 16gb, DDR 3 @ 1866mhz
  • WD Caviar SATA III drive (O/S)
  • Seagate 1TB , WD1.5TB SATA II
  • UAD Nevana X2
  • Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (MC 2.4)
  • Nvidia- 8800 GT
Old 03-13-2011, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 iLok Authorization Error! Cannot run PT 9.02

Irish916,

Have you made any progress on this?

I'm on a Mac Pro, and I have had/am having this exact experience with PT9, 9.0.1, and now 9.0.2. Sometimes Pro Tools won't recognize my ilok at start up (i.e.: "Please authorize... there is no ilok attached") and even worse is when it's losing the connection in the middle of sessions (i.e.: "There is no ilok attached, please save your session as Pro Tools is going to quit.")!

Is this Pro Tools ham-handedly "pinging" the ilok? My system can, in fact, see the untouched ilok still attached when this is happening. My ilok has worked for the past year with no issues with the other DAWs I use.

It certainly feels like I, basically, paid for a demo version of Pro Tools that constantly times out.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM

John,
Unfortunately I have not figured it out. Right now I cannot run PT at all. I have to hope that folks at phone support can figure this one out tomorrow. I just don't understand Avid's business decision to go with this ilok. In 7 years of using the other DAW I've never spent more than 10 seconds even thinking about the activation of the software, as that occured during the install process. This type of thing makes me want to beat my head against the wall!
  • EVGA P67 SLI
  • UAD Nevana X2
  • Nvidia- 8800 GT
Old 03-13-2011, 06:56 PM

W7 SP1 has not been approved yet. It "should not" cause problems, but its not approved. I do have SP1 on the laptop and PT runs fine.

Did you try updating your iLok drivers? And then Re-Sync your iLok on iLok.com.

Is your iLok Plugged in before you turn the PC on? if not, try that. Just leave it plugged in all the time.

Quote:
On a soapbox side note: I'm new to PT having been a long time user of another popular DAW that DOES NOT authorize copies with a dongle. Avid SERIOUSLY needs to reconsider program security/validation with the dongle. A: It's an extra expense. (It came with my retail PT 9 box, but the USB costs money. B: It doesn't deter hackers as versions of PT 9 are posted all over the web. C: When it fails, it's creates a negative customer experience for those people like me who have laid their hard earned money down to buy a licensed copy of your product. Any more downtime and I'll have to revert back to my former DAW because I can't be staring at errors when I need to be working through my projects!
I am one of the few here who agree with you. Not that Avid uses iLok, or the idea of an iLok, but the polices of iLok.com. I Like having all my plugs, (and Daw now) on 1 or 2 USB keys. If you have hundreds of programs that you need at different PC's, the iLok is great. Plug it in, and your are authorized no problem, your not typing in hundreds of Challenge/Response codes ect... and thats nice. I mainly object to the section in the iLok terms that says they can cancel your account at any time without liability!! That could cause a user to lose multiple thousands of dollars in programs they have already paid for. They even say they can cancel your account if they see negative posts about iLok.com that you have posted... not cool.

But the bottom line is that its not going anywhere, anytime soon. If you want music engineering to be your source of income, get use to the iLok.

Some day, software licenses will be eased again, we have seen this through out history. The first manufacturer of a MP3 play was sued, VCR manufacturers were sued, 10 year old girls downloading 1 N*sync song were sued for millions, ect.... The distribution model is old and it will change, but not anytime soon.

Someone will come up with a better model that offers better protections for paying consumers while still protecting the manufactures RIGHT to copy protect their products.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-13-2011, 07:08 PM

Benoni, thank you for your feedback. I have updated the drivers for the dongle. The ilok site sees the dongle and confirms authorization for pt 9. The system was working fine for days now. No changes, then I go to use it today and it gives me the error and I'm locked out of PT! The only thing that would have changed would be the system clock going forward1 hour for daylight savings time.
  • EVGA P67 SLI
  • UAD Nevana X2
  • Nvidia- 8800 GT
Old 03-13-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Did you try updating your iLok drivers? And then Re-Sync your iLok on iLok.com.
I had to update my ilok driver even though I was sure I followed all the installs correctly. There's numerous versions flying around at the moment in different install packages. Windows may have updated the driver when you booted to an incorrect version - I saw Windows do an update on my ilok driver during a reboot. Download the latest from paceap.com.

If you have multiple pc's or move between studios, you will understand the benefit of the ilok. At the very least I don't need to lug my 002 around just to do comp'ing at a friends house anymore - I realise this is 'lesser of two evils', but I'm happy to carry an ilok to protect Avid and Waves' R&D.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post
Benoni, thank you for your feedback. I have updated the drivers for the dongle. The ilok site sees the dongle and confirms authorization for pt 9. The system was working fine for days now. No changes, then I go to use it today and it gives me the error and I'm locked out of PT! The only thing that would have changed would be the system clock going forward1 hour for daylight savings time.
perhaps try changing the time and or date back just for trouble shooting then. change the date to Feb. some time, then turn off the PC, turn it back on and try to launch PT.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-13-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
perhaps try changing the time and or date back just for trouble shooting then. change the date to Feb. some time, then turn off the PC, turn it back on and try to launch PT.
Good thinking, Ninety Nine!

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 03-13-2011, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestion folks. Unfortunately, it's not working. I went back to mid February. What's interesting though is the program flashed a prompt that said the date might be incorrect and gave me the option to continue. After that I got the iLok error and couldn't continue.

Welp! (yeah- that's a new word) I'm doing a complete uninstall of PT and reinstall. Fingers crossed!
  • EVGA P67 SLI
  • UAD Nevana X2
  • Nvidia- 8800 GT
Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 PM

Hey all

I had the exact same problem, and in fact posted a similar thread which you should search. Here is the ONLY solution I've found.

Boot up your machine without the ilok inserted. Before you launch PT, get the ilok near the USB port you would normally use. Then launch PT WITHOUT the ilok inserted. As soon as the launch sequence begins.. I mean like a half second or less after you've clicked the icon, insert the ilok.

If I get the timing right, PT launches and works fine. I can then quit and relaunch at will. However if I reboot I have to pull the same trick again. I'm Win7 64, and know of others with this problem. Don't know if it will work for Mac.

Curious to know if this works for others. I've tried everything you guys mentioned by the way.. sorry to say reinstalling drivers etc will not help you.