Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-07-2004, 01:50 PM

Default WMA and AAC support in Pro Tools

I have read that Digi plans support for WMA for Pro Tools. Is this option avaliable already? I would much rather see AAC than WMA since I am sure most if not all of us use iTunes and Quick TIme which supports AAC. I would like the compare the two though. I will say that the MS claims that 64kbps WMA is "CD quality" makes the 128k Mp3 claimes sound accurate! 64kWMA is no where near CD quality. But, anyway, back to my original question, I would like to be able to compare the two on my own recordings but I don't see a way to do that. Is it a paid upgrade like the mp3 option?
I would definately pay another $20 for an AAC import option!
120 gig Maxtor 7200 2 MB Firwire
Old 02-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Default Re: WMA and AAC support in Pro Tools

I can't answer your main question about if or when AAC support would be added, but here's the scoop on the Windows Media format...

The Pro Tools LE 6.1.1 for Windows and Pro Tools 6.2 TDM for Windows releases added support for Windows Media 9 encoding, on Windows systems only. From what I've been able to find out searching the web, there do not seem to be any programs on a Mac capable of creating Windows Media files (.wma).

I'm sure other Mac users would be interested in seeing AAC as an import/export option, and I would imagine our engineers are looking at it. I haven't checked on a Windows machine since Windows iTunes and the related QuickTime and QuickTime Pro version for Windows came out, but AAC may also be something Windows users would be interested in as well.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:26 PM

AAC would make post work a heck of a lot easier for me. I have a copy of Windows Media Player for Mac, so i think it would be a possibility for a WMA export in OSX. By using WMA, one would be able to reach a large portion of the PC community, which could be very helpful in the long run.

rMacBook Pro 2.2 gHz Core i7, 10.10.3
16 GB RAM
MOTU 828mkII, PT 12.1 HD
Axiom 61, 2xArtist Mix
Old 02-08-2004, 08:51 PM

I would like to see support for both actually. But I would like to see AAC mainly. AAC is as everyone knows, the format used by iTunes and Real Player for the music service which accounts for about 75% of all legal downloads and the file sharing programs are still primarily mp3 so I don't see wma as being such the industry standard that everyone thinks it is.
Mp3s are ok for me for now but I import them for a gospel broadcast I do every week and the quality just isn't as good as AAC even though I use 160k instead of 128.
BTW, I will gladly pay another $20 like I did for the mp3 export option as it will be well worth it.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:18 PM

Quote:
From what I've been able to find out searching the web, there do not seem to be any programs on a Mac capable of creating Windows Media files (.wma).
Uh, discreet's Cleaner has been doing this for years with great results. However, we'll probably have to wait for an update in order to support the WMA9 codecs - but I don't see why anyone would care. Windows media has had the WORST sounding audio codecs since they dropped voxware in version 7 - another testament to the brilliant engineering teams at microsoft.

Digi, PLEASE add ACC import/export support. Converting each of my AAC's to AIFF before importing is KILLING me! I'm wasting sooo much time with this, I would gladly pay for the option same as the MP3 option, and the sooner you get it done, the more I'd be willing to pay....
Old 02-09-2004, 08:31 AM

Slim,
Don't you get a kick out of the MS claim of "CD quality" from a 64k WMA file?
It is lousy. If that is the case then why are all the WMA music stores at 192k and the AAC store are 128 and 160. (Real uses 160k AAC)
Anyway, I would love to see AAC support. If any of you that read this agree please post your support for it.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Anyway, I would love to see AAC support. If any of you that read this agree please post your support for it.
count me in, please. i have converted things in quicktime on the desktop (in windows) but it means i have to burn a cd, bring it to my windows computer, import to itunes to convert. and i'm either recording my cds at too fast a speed (16x), using cheap cds, or missing something on the itunes import & conversion utility, but my stuff after going aac has a lot of "artifacts" that don't exist on my cd (or on the tunes we buy from itunes).

i suspect an export from pt to aac format would solve the problem. $20 is well worth it!!

thx,
steve
Old 02-09-2004, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Don't you get a kick out of the MS claim of "CD quality" from a 64k WMA file?
Yeah, that's a joke, but Apple claiming the same thing out of 128k AAC files is almost as ridiculous (the AAC definitely sounds better than WMA, but not 'CD Quality'). I'm a 320k AAC user all the way when it comes to my music library - over 52,000 songs strong at this point (all legal, thank you very much), which uses up about 450gb if anyone was wondering.

Slim

Old 02-09-2004, 04:08 PM

Wow, that is quite a library!
To be honest, I usually can't tell a differece between 128k AAC and the original uncompressed file at 16/44 but of course going from 24/48 AIFF to 16/44 AAC I do. I am sure though that to a well trained ear, there are slight differences between the original and 128k AAC.
At any rate, it is way better than mp3!
Old 02-09-2004, 04:15 PM

I just did a close comparison between a 16 bit AIFF file and a 128k AAC file compressed from it and there is a very slight difference in the two but most people will never notice the difference. For that matter, the first time I heard the 64k sample track on Windows Media Player on cheap PC speakers I was impressed but when I heard it on my AT headphones I thought it was lousy. I guess MS thinks everyone is using 5 watt PC squeakers and on those you can't tell a differnce between a gramophone and DVD-A