Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2002, 06:36 AM

Default XP Demo at NAMM

I would like to hear a little more about the XP demo setup running in the Digi display at NAMM. This is pretty much the only "thing" for the PC guys, and I suppose that includes the TDM PC users. Maybe someone has already posted some info on the XP setup, but I guess I haven't run across it yet.

Is this demo in a "glass cage" or can anybody go up and check out some features? I would like to know what the latency buffers are how many tracks they are running in the demo. Maybe what type of computer, motherboard and chipset, CPU? Any settings for "Direct Connect"?

If some brave soul could go up there and slap the Davec test on the XP demo setup to see how many tracks it will accept before you have to go to aux tracks... some of these things would be nice to know.

I would love to go to NAMM, but there is just no way. So how about bringing a little of the NAMM experience to us. It's all about Digi showing their wares and us learning and experiencing.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:45 AM

Default Re: XP Demo at NAMM

I would like to add one more thing to the above list: which plugins, if any, are running on XP demo.
Old 01-18-2002, 04:46 PM

Lol...

I can see it now some punk off of these boards runs up to the PC PT le XP box (funny all those letters in conjunction) and going away at the torture test hoping nobody from digi notices. that would be quite a sight.

Christian
Old 01-18-2002, 04:49 PM

Christian - I'll distract them with some strippers and you can run the test!
Old 01-18-2002, 04:52 PM

I don't care how they do it... whatever it takes!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2002, 04:55 PM

i wouldnt be suprised if some diehard does/did it. I too would like to know the track count of this windows xp demo. I wouldnt be suprised if its unlimited...simply because they have added the le code yet (LE limited edition).

8mm are you at namm??? Wish i where.

Christian
Old 01-18-2002, 05:27 PM

The PTLE/XP demo at NAMM is beta-quality software. I think it would be unwise to assume that it represents the performance of the final product. I expect that it ultimately will perform at least as well as on Win98 (probably better), but the real hard-core performance tuning comes closer to the release date.

Eric Day
Digidesign
Old 01-18-2002, 05:32 PM

Eric...

I was just kidding about the torture test. i must say though i am slightly frustrated with some aspects of Pt le (the lack of upgrades in the last 2 years). I am actually considering purchasing a used TDM as all the studios migrate to the HD setup (i hope yall sell those HD systems to everybody and everybody sells the TDM's). The TDM system would be more then what i needed for recording CD's.

Christian
Old 01-18-2002, 05:43 PM

Hey, Eric, you wouldn't happen to be sitting next to that XP demo unit...?
Old 01-19-2002, 05:10 AM

As a beta-tester for the 5.0.1 I can say there is huge gap between beta's and final.
Yet, if possible i'd like to know few things that I (atleast) find non-destructive to the Digi-Silence policy.

- Which is in higher priority?
LE or TDM. Last time LE was before TDM (5.1)and you've posted this information before it was released.

- How far are you from a stable beta?

- Why digi ended those beta-testing programs for the "cutting edge" users that want to enjoy the test. Good customer relationship is important and I must say the entire new product line is based on... us, the users.
Eg. Truly portable Pro Tools solution (M-BOX), the 24/96 requests and etc...
I still wonder, the beta-tests with users was so awful that you've decide to end them?
[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

- Are there any limits for LE/TDM like:
LE = XP Home only, TDM = XP Pro only or the gap between the 2 (in OS related) will be finally finished?

- I for example really like to see PT on XP to enjoy the new GUI I wish someone would post somewhere on the net a picture of PT on XP [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

I know you already know all of that but there is planty of users holding upgrades just for starting with XP. Windows XP is truly "better" OS that PT could just benefit running on it (I know, I know only if the programmers & enginners will have the time to check it out, and maybe give us some part of beta-testing it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ).

Thank you for any response, even if diplomatic.