Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Default pro tools 8 keeps freezing

PT8 is freezing on me during sessions and its starting to get really annoying. I'm using snow leopard PT8 with the digidesign 8.0.3 prerelease update...
on a mac pro mbox2 mini

during a session when im just doing things say loading xpand2 for example it just freezes, and its not just when im loading a plug in, when it freezes i'll have to force quit the program, then i try to open the program up again and it will freeze during the start up of the program, i have to restart my computer just to be able to restart pro tools, this is getting really annoying, any help?? suggestions???
Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 PM

Default Re: pro tools 8 keeps freezing

Just a thought, have you tried trashing the digidesign databases and restarting? You can find the databases by spotlighting them. I have found that this has solved random freezing issues for me on a number of occasions.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgone5150 View Post
PT8 is freezing on me during sessions and its starting to get really annoying. I'm using snow leopard PT8 with the digidesign 8.0.3 prerelease update...
on a mac pro mbox2 mini

during a session when im just doing things say loading xpand2 for example it just freezes, and its not just when im loading a plug in, when it freezes i'll have to force quit the program, then i try to open the program up again and it will freeze during the start up of the program, i have to restart my computer just to be able to restart pro tools, this is getting really annoying, any help?? suggestions???
Well, first off, you're using Pro Tools and Snow Leopard. Regardless of whatever anyone says or thinks, it's STILL not a qualified combination, and it simply may not work on your system.

Nevertheless, some people have been having luck with PT and SL, but the majority seems to have better luck with slightly earlier versions, rather than using the 8.0.3pr, which is technically a Beta, designed mostly for testing purposes rather than as a complete working build. From what I've noticed, most people have been having more luck with 8.0cs3 than any other version on SL. Some find straight 8.0 works as well, while others have had sucess with 8.0.1. If clearing databases and prefs doesn't work, your best bet is uninstall, and start fresh with 8.0. From there, update to 8.0cs3, see if that works. If not, try 8.0.1. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to use anything with a "pre-release" or "beta" tag on it with any intent of smooth functionality. I test betas all the time, and there are typically still a lot of bugs to work out.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Avid

The first place we'd have you start is the General Troubleshooting thread - paying careful attention to things like plug-in compatibility, which is an absolute must for system stability.

Have you done any of those steps yet and, if so, which ones?