Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-06-2006, 02:34 AM

Default Adat bridge to legacy port on digital 192 problem

I can't get it to work...

HD2 Accel, digital 192 and an Adat Bridge. All this hooked up to a Sony DMX R100. According to PT and the Sony all is good.

Do I need to hook both computer A and B in to a digi Y cable and hook that to the legacy port of the 192? Currently, I have only the computer A port hooked to the legacy port of the Digi 192.

This is driving me CRAZY!!!! I have selected, reselected, rebooted, shut down, about 100 times!! I have RTFM it about a 100 times too and am connfoosed, and alil tipsy too

please....help...

thank you all!!

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 07-06-2006, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Adat bridge to legacy port on digital 192 problem

Hi,

From memory it goes like this...

Obviously you will only get the first 8 channels when connected without the y-lead, if you want to use all 16 channels you will need the y-lead to access both A and B.

Ther crucial thing with the adat bridge is the clocking between the adatbridge and the 192, you have to use the 48k word clock sync connections, from the 192 to the input on the adatbridge.

The you have to go to the i/o setup and there should be a page for setting up the adatbridge! i can't remember exactly its been a long time now, but once connected it will show and you can select the prefs for it etc.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Adat bridge to legacy port on digital 192 prob

If it's anything like setting up a 888 you have to have it plugged up correctly, turn it on FIRST, wait for it to sort itself out, then turn the 192/Sync on and boot up.

As said, you'll need a Y cable for all 16 channels.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Adat bridge to legacy port on digital 192 prob

It's a pain, never worked smoothly with me so I dumped the adat24 and got a 192 digital instead.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
, you have to use the 48k word clock sync connections, from the 192 to the input on the adatbridge.
Chris
Chris, so do you mean I cannot use the Adat Bridge lower than 48k? I was trying to set it up in a 44.1 session.
I can select the adat bridge from PT hardware menu, and PT will identify it too. According to the i/o staus on my DMX R100 digital mixer, the adat i/o from the adat bridge is recongnized and has a valid signal. I can select the output path for an audio track within PT, to send out of the adat bridge to the input of the digital mixer, but i get NO sound, and no meter movement on the DMX.

I have a 48k session that I will try this out on.

Thanks all!!

sdf

Old 07-06-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Chris, so do you mean I cannot use the Adat Bridge lower than 48k? I was trying to set it up in a 44.1 session.

No, you can still use the aday bridge at 44.1k. the clocking stays at word clock 48 for the sync only. without the word clock sync you won't get correct clocking and no sound.

Have you set the DMX to external clocking?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:08 PM

Have you set the DMX to external clocking?

Chris

[/QUOTE]

I set the HD 192 to clock from the AES out of the DMX, I have the 192 set to AES[enc] for sync, I have also set the ADAT bridge to sync the same.

What is weird is even if I have the AB selected in Hardware setup, and select WC in for sync, PT switches the 192 sync, and tells me its invalid, which it is.

Maybe I should try to have the 192 as master.

I just go outta session, so time to eat, and try some of this stuff out.

thanks

sdf

Old 07-06-2006, 08:14 PM

OK,

so DMX sends sync via AES to 192 AES[enc], 192 sends sync to adat bridge via BNC WC. The DMX says that the digital signal from the ADAT bridge is valid. In hardware setups in PT, I can click identify and the ADAT bridge lights up. On the ADAT Bridge, group A and B in sync mode is on "slave". CH1 &2 are set to ADAT, and sample rate is 44.1khz. This is for both group A & B. Still no sound from the output of the adat bridge.

When in hardware setups, the ext. clock output on the botton righthand corner will read "48k wordclock", until I set up the legacy port and add the adat bridge, once that is done it switches to "slave clock".

I tried a 48k session, no luck. I really dont want to have the 192 as the master, cause the DMX will only slave to WC via BNC, so I'd have the sync going from 192 to DMX back to adat bridge.

I am at a total loss of what to do...

sdf

Old 07-07-2006, 01:45 AM

Hi,

You must make the 192 the master!! everything else must be clocked with word clock with the 192 as the master. you can get dual bnc connectors to enable you to send WC to both the adatbridge and the DMX. if the adatbridge has wc in and out then you can daisy chain to the dmx.

the way you have it the 192 is in slave mode and won't clock the adatbridge.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 07-07-2006, 04:22 PM

OK,
reviewed the DMX manual, and I can clock from a digital input. So, 192 the master AES[encl] out to AES in [aux5/6] on the DMX, and WC out of the 192 into WC in on the Adat Bridge. I reset up the legacy port according to the" getting started guide" and..

Still no audio. The DMX says the adat ins from the AB are valid, PT sees and identifys the adat bridge also. The LEDS are correct on the AB too.

I appreciate all your help on this matter chris!!

I am very confused...am I SOL on this matter? I would be nice if DIGI had some insight.

thanks

sdf