Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-18-2018, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Latency and system configuration help!

So, a little more of an update... I have been shutting off start up entries in and i'ts looking pretty thin now. I did finish up going thru updating all my drivers and making sure my RME Raydat card and drivers were up to date.

As the system is going now I open task manager and the cpu is running at 0% and the memory is now only about 1.6 gb, I have ordered more memory this morning which will take the system to 4x4 GB memory for a total of 16gb vs what it was at 12gb... I actually found the exact ram from Samsung that was in the system... so I will now have 16GB matching memory by the end of next week.

So, I opened PT, and loaded the session we had been running (I kept it for comparisons as I tweak the system).... running I see the CPU is less than it was but still running at 17 to 22% while playing the song on memory jumps to 25%.

Using my test song I now have been able to drop my audio card down from 256 sample to 64 samples with a clean sound. 32s is still an issue.

So, now I have a question on PT and how it uses resources .. Will adding more memory to 16 gb help the overall performance? With a pretty consistent CPU usage at 25% is that a decent performance for a PT DAW? In the session I am running quite a few of the "Slate Digital Bundle" plugins and I'm sure that's not helping, but I"m not sure if more memory helps that set of plug ins.

As for PCIE slots, I"m maxed out with a video card 2 PCIE slots for my RME Radat cards and I am currently using the last PCIE slots for a fireport adapter for the Focusrite interconnect.

So, there is my report for this evening... things are looking better.. but my guess if I get another system with a new CPU I''ll see that CPU useage percentage get much better!... but, I haven't pushed the buy button yet!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:57 PM

Same question as before... what exact AAE errors are you getting?

We already addressed memory early in this thread, it will not change things except.... if you have mem timing hardware issues. Only way to find out is to try all identical dimms. And if you are having IO issues disk cache might help again try it. All stuff already suggested earlier.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:05 PM

CPU meters in Pro Tools tell you little useful info about actual micro-latency issues that will cause the audio engine to crash. Just stop looking at them. All you need to do is optimize, run at lowest buffer size near where it crashes with a AAE error (I suspect you are not following suggestions carefully and still have not disabled ignore errors) and then go through troubleshooting.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:24 PM

BTW what Pro Tools CPU meters can be useful at... showing bouncing/spikey CPU usage. Showing high or runaway CPU use at odd times like when stopping the transport. All signs of a possible faulty plugins and/or denormalization issues. Otherwise generally not worth looking at...
Old 10-19-2018, 04:50 AM

Good Morning Darryl, Sorry about not addressing the error question before but, I"ve been looking and I am not seeing any error codes at all. Where would it show up?

This all started when I had the huge latency issue and you folks have helped me. The issue was that as I lowered the buffer the clicks and pops increased (which I understand). so, that is were we started. As I went thru the optimization steps you suggested I see that the issue of latency has got much better and as I said, I now can track overdubs at 64 samples in the buffer which is a far improvement.

At the same time I was following the optimization steps I would turn off various items that would load at start up (Avid Application Manager being the largest) the computer is getting better. Now I am just trying to do more with it.

In looking at the system meter in PT the CPU cores are all running less than 3 or 4 percent and the cpu is running at about 15percent. I also use Task manager and it has helped me in identifying what was going on.

I have completed the optimization steps listed on the Help me list. Again, I"m not seeing any errors the only issue is if I were to try to drop down to a 32 sample buffer and when I do the audio is full of clicks and pops (which I understand) I just thought I'd keep plugging away at finding things that are loading up. and I HAVE NOT clicked the ignore errors.

So, I"ll just keep working on it, I"m using all the tools you suggested and I"m seeing an increase in performance and the reduction of latency so I guess I'll just be happy plugging along. As for the Memory, I got a good deal on it and it is the exact memory that was in the system so I will have all the exact same memory in the system and it will be at 16GB ... can't hurt!

Thanks for your suggestions and help... at this point I guess it's all up to me to continue to tweak the system and drives.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:05 AM

What is Setup>Playback Engine>Ignore Errors set to?
Old 10-20-2018, 06:04 AM

Just looked at the setting, there is no check mark on that line so, that's why I guess I'm not seeing any errors....

There is a check mark on the Dynamic plug in processing though.

One question I have not asked before has to do with Video, the card in my current computer has a AMD Raydeon 6450 adapter with 1gb of memory... I figure since I am only using a 1920x1080p monitor that is just fine I have updated the video drivers.

I think that the system is performing about as good as it can given the current processor, ram and drives, I've optimized the system to the PT suggestions and were running a buffer of 64 which seems to be fine. I can play the session at 32 but, it's when I go to record a vocal over dub that the system seems to choke.

When running my test session my CPU load bounces from about 18 to 25% but, that's with about 25 tracks and lots of plug-ins. That is in Task manager and looking at the whole system performance. But, for the most part the system is performing better than it was... I am not getting any Pops or clicks now and the playback sounds very clean. Our session is at 48Khz sample rate.

The new memory will be in by the end of the week, but from the responses that won't do much for me.

Dave
Old 10-22-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecanyon1952 View Post
Just looked at the setting, there is no check mark on that line so, that's why I guess I'm not seeing any errors....
No if ignore errors is not checked, then you are telling Pro Tools to "crash on detected errors". Which is what you want now. More below.

Quote:
There is a check mark on the Dynamic plug in processing though.
And that's something I already suggested you disable. It just does not work well and should always be disabled. There is lots of stuff flying around here.You might just want to print out all the suggestions in this tread and work down that list checking off things as you do them.

---

It may be unusual/unfortunate that you are getting pops and clicks instead of AAE crashes with ignore errors not checked. One of the nice thign about Pro Tools is that it is pretty good about detecting internal issues and crashing instead of corrupting the audio. And pops and clicks gives less of a clue to what is going on than a specific AAE error. I would be very cautious that you don't have a basic clocking issue, that might be slightly exacerbated at smaller IO buffer sizes. (What is Pro Tools set to clock from?... your console should be providing the clock source over ADAT, unless you have a way of driving a clock into it.)

I would not worry about GPUs or anything else, I'd be troubleshooting clocking and going over all the previous suggestions.