Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2015, 06:41 AM

Default Eleven Rack fimware update 2.0 advice needed

I take advantage to greet everyone and avid comunity via my 1st post here, i am new to avid. i just bought an 11r unit second hand from a friend few days ago. Unfortunately it came with no cds avalabile, PT nor the update considering the small price paid. Perhaps this has been long discused before, sorry if raising this again, I just have few questions:

1. Is the upgrade worth spending $$$, i'm on a limited budget. I don't need extra Amps and cabs I just need few things that sound decent. I'm trying to get a good Marshall sound with my guitar Heritage H150.
For e.g. amp sim Lead 800 will sound better in firmware 2.0? Now i have 1.0.3 and to my ears sounds pretty digital and dull... I also have decend sound card and monitors (EMU 1616m and Prodipe Pro 8 Ribbon) and a little expreience in tweaking, ust want to know if this update also improve exisitng amps while adding other or only adds stuff? :)

2. How do I upload presets? The 11r Editor is the only way? if i don't have update 2.0 i cannot upload presets?

I'm on a windows 7 32bit OS working with CUBASE pro 8. Avid site seems so complicated. So I m a bit dissapointed by the sound, but willing to try more and upgrade if it really worthed. Hope i didn't raised to many silly questions. I'm new to this so i will apreciate some good answres in advance! Thanks :)

here is a video with me playing, a humble tribute to the great Gary Moore! RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB6vhsMo6VI
Bless u all, grettings from Romania!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack fimware update 2.0 advice needed

Yes, the Editor is the only way to interface with the Eleven Rack and load presets to it or save presets from it on to your computer.

Yes you must have the Eleven Rack Expansion Pack (Firmware 2.0.x) in order to use the standalone editor.

Another problem you will have is you need a 64 bit operating systems. So your Windows 7 32-bit is not compatible.

About the only thing you could do is try to track down a used copy of PT LE 8 or PT9, or PT10 and use the integrated editor. Those versions are 32 bit.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-22-2015, 04:56 PM

Thanks for fast reply and clarifications! really apreciate your work around! :)

You haven't answered my question regarding amp sim, will Lead 800 or PLexi or whatever sound better in firmware 2.0 or they just add new stuff and existing sound the same? Was anybody curious in this regard? If they sound the same there is no need for the update, i start to get used with the sound!
It s a little frustrating that i cannot add double delays (aka U2) but i get the option of putting 2-3 Eqs, flagers and phsaers... funny! :)
Old 04-22-2015, 05:06 PM

Amp sims were not changed, new ones were added. The expansion pack overall is very likely worth having.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:41 AM

Default Worth the upgrade

I originally had the 11R without the expansion pack - really good but when I got the expansion pack, it made a great unit fantastic. The additional amp models are superb and are absolutely worth the cost.
There is another alternative to the 11R standalone editor for transferring patches. It called ElevenHack and is a freeware program developed by a member of the Eleven Rack Users Group. It is simple and works well but keep in mind, it doesn't let you edit patches, just upload/download them.
If you want to get a copy, just google it.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:41 PM

the speaker breakup that you get with the expansion pack will make your existing amps sound better..at least in my opinion.
m-audio audiophile 24/96 soundcard
intel core i5 4440 3.1 GHz quad core CPU
asus B85M-E Motherboard
corsair vengeance 8GB DDR3 RAM
seagate barracuda 2TB 6bp/s HDD
thermalright 140BW true spirit CPU cooler
samsung dvd writer
corsair CX600 PSU