Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2020, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Best Atmos Panning System

What Neyrinck is doing with only edit packs is insane looking. I kind of what to try that. Motorized joysticks? What???
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-10-2020, 11:59 AM

As primarily a sound editor, my ideal control surface would be a fader, a joystick panner (with height), and a handful of programmable buttons. Typically I reach for the Digi joystick way more than the Artist Mix faders. If only it was Eucon and I didn't have to click the tiny little Output Window button to attention the panner, I would be so happy.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
As primarily a sound editor, my ideal control surface would be a fader, a joystick panner (with height), and a handful of programmable buttons. Typically I reach for the Digi joystick way more than the Artist Mix faders. If only it was Eucon and I didn't have to click the tiny little Output Window button to attention the panner, I would be so happy.
I mostly use an S6 but have a few s3's deployed. If you set your controller to attn pan on track selection, does the joystick attn as well? I don't have a midi joystick to test with.
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-13-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
I mostly use an S6 but have a few s3's deployed. If you set your controller to attn pan on track selection, does the joystick attn as well? I don't have a midi joystick to test with.
Unfortunately, no, and I can't understand why it wouldn't. Maybe there is some combo of preferences in EuControl that can make this happen? I just tried tinkering around with it and I can't get the panner attention to switch to the selected track.

Edit: I guess it's because the Eucon controller doesn't talk to the midi panner. The midi panner sticks to the track it was assigned to until you press the little Output Window button thingy.

Last edited by Starcrash; 11-13-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
When using the surround panner, I have to click the mini-fader in the Output Window button (track I/o) for it to activate. Much better than infinitely pressing "Next Track" or "Prev Track". Stereo pans, I just use the S3.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 11-13-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
When using the surround panner, I have to click the mini-fader in the Output Window button (track I/o) for it to activate. Much better than infinitely pressing "Next Track" or "Prev Track". Stereo pans, I just use the S3.
Yes, exactly. I have a Keyboard Maestro macro that presses that little button for me on the track I have selected. It's still baffling that such a basic thing isn't automatic.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, exactly. I have a Keyboard Maestro macro that presses that little button for me on the track I have selected. It's still baffling that such a basic thing isn't automatic.
I'm sure it's automatic if you buy a joystick module.
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-13-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Did a little searching and found this script that handles exactly that. Thanks! This is so much easier now.

Link

Quote:
tell application "System Events"

if exists (process "Pro Tools") then

tell process "Pro Tools"

tell (1st window whose title contains "Edit: ")

set selectedTrack to title of button of UI element 2 of (1st row of table "Track List" whose selected is true)

set formattedString to text of selectedTrack as string
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "Selected. "
set theTextItems to every text item of formattedString
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ""
set formattedString to theTextItems as string

click button "Output Window button" of group "Audio IO" of group formattedString

end tell
end tell
end if
end tell

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 11-17-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it's automatic if you buy a joystick module.
I put it off for a while, but finally got the S6 joystick module a year and a half ago. Really glad I did; especially for Atmos panning- the second joystick does hight at the same time the first is doing X/Y.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment