Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 PM

Default Restart Protools quickly after a crash

This may be helpful to others.

I've noticed that I can get around having to reboot my computer when Protools crashes. I've noticed that in the task manager in Windows, Protools tends to stick around for ever it seems once it crashes. You can try to manually kill the task all you want but there is nothing you can do to kill Protools. It seems to die when it want's to and that can be many minutes.

I've discovered that once Protools crashes, it I pull the USB cable out from my MIDI controller or simply turn the power off on my midi controller, then this speeds up the shutdown of Protools - it's almost instantaneous. I can immediately restart Protools and get back to work without a reboot.

On my system this means switching off the power to my Axiom 61.

You should try it next time with your setup instead of rebooting your computer, it may just save you having to wait around for a complete system restart. There doesn't appear to be any lingering problems using this approach.

Alain