Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 07-12-2018, 07:16 AM

Default Errors when using the "drag and drop" feature of Maschine to MIDI Channels

I am running PT 2018.4 on a Mac - OSX Sierra along with Maschine 2 from Native Instruments as a plug-in.

I followed the video provided by Avid on this topic. I began by creating a stereo instrument track and then inserting Maschine 2 as a plug in. I followed the instructions on the video verbatim:
Opened Machine 2 > Created a Pattern > Group Channel Batch > Sounds to MIDI channels > Dragged Pattern into PT > Set the input and output channels in Maschine 2 and Pro Tools to the correct corresponding pads (only the output channels in PT) > Deleted the Pattern in the Machine plug-in.
However, when I play the track in Pro Tools, it only plays one of the MIDI channels in Machine. For example, after placing the pattern in PT, the "Kick" channel will play if I go into the Maschine plug-in and manually select the "Kick" pad. Another example, I was running a closed hihat with 1/16th notes. Just to test it, I selected the "Snare" pad in the plug-in and the Snare channel in PT played the snare noise on 1/16th notes that were assigned to the hihat. I still have not been able to get all the sounds to play as one cohesive instrument and have tried just about everything under the sun from uninstalling and reinstalling Maschine to even upgrading the PT system and deleting PT 11 from my mac. Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:12 PM

Default Errors when using the "drag and drop" feature of Maschine to MIDI Channels

I am running PT 2018.4 on a Mac - OSX Sierra along with Maschine 2 from Native Instruments as a plug-in.

I followed the video provided by Avid on this topic. I began by creating a stereo instrument track and then inserting Maschine 2 as a plug in. I followed the instructions on the video verbatim:
Opened Machine 2 > Created a Pattern > Group Channel Batch > Sounds to MIDI channels > Dragged Pattern into PT > Set the input and output channels in Maschine 2 and Pro Tools to the correct corresponding pads (only the output channels in PT) > Deleted the Pattern in the Machine plug-in.
However, when I play the track in Pro Tools, it only plays one of the MIDI channels in Machine. For example, after placing the pattern in PT, the "Kick" channel will play if I go into the Maschine plug-in and manually select the "Kick" pad. Another example, I was running a closed hihat with 1/16th notes. Just to test it, I selected the "Snare" pad in the plug-in and the Snare channel in PT played the snare noise on 1/16th notes that were assigned to the hihat. I still have not been able to get all the sounds to play as one cohesive instrument and have tried just about everything under the sun from uninstalling and reinstalling Maschine to even upgrading the PT system and deleting PT 11 from my mac. Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Errors when using the "drag and drop" feature of Maschine to MIDI Channels

Hey colebywest,

First of all

1. best place for those questions is the NI Machine forum:
https://www.native-instruments.com/f...hine-area.222/

2. Maschine works in PT 12 only with 44,1 kHz or 48 kHz samling rate. In 88,2/96 it plays double notes (known bug). the AAX Plug In is not working correct. It also don't compensate the Maschine internal Patterns in PT ADC (also a known bug).

3.your question:
It is important to change the Midi Channel Group (or Sound) Input in the Maschines plug in (Channel/Midi->group(or sound)->input->midi). the group keymode is at default on "off" which means that it ignores Group Midi input and it plays automatically only the selected pad when getting notes from the DAW (because every sound midi input is set to "default" at default).
Because of this you hear the Snare playing the HH.

a. (sounds to midi notes)
so you have to change the Channel/Midi -> Group -> input -> Midi "keymode" to "Manual" and the "source" to "host" and the "channel" to the Midi channel of your DAW Midi channel. In this case you have one Midi Channel for all Sounds in the group and you have to set Group Midi Batch Setup (in the menu you described) to "Sounds to Midi Notes" You get one Midi file with all Sounds.

b.(sounds to Midi channels)
or you have to set every Sound in Maschine in Channel/Midi -> Sound -> input -> Midi to "Host"(Source) and a separate Midi channel. In this case you have to set Group Midi Batch Setup (in the menu you described) to "Sounds to Midi Channels" You get a separate Midi file for each Sounds.

note! when you have loaded some other groups in Maschine they also play the selected sound when getting input from PT (no ,matter what channel in PT is selected) so you have to give every Maschine group a separat channel in the Group input midi keymode or you have to change every single sound (you don't want to trigger) in the Channel/Midi->Sound->input->Midi to "off" so it plays not when getting notes from the DAW.

I hope this is not to complicated :)

(sorry I had to edit a lot afterwards)

Last edited by Franklyn; 07-17-2018 at 03:53 AM.