Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-01-2018, 01:53 PM

Default IMac 27" vs HP Envy 34" ?

Hello,

I'm looking to get a computer for my home studio to run Pro Tools 2018. I've been an IT guy for 30 years and always worked PC's. I believe I would be happy with the HP Envy 34" Touch screen i7 but...........I like the idea of the IMAC for hopefully its compatibility with Protools and its sleekness.

I plan on adding a USB 3.0 drive for recording.

The HP has the i7, 256 SSD and a 1TB 7200 SATA, touchscreen.

The IMAC is i5, 3.5GHZ 1TB, no touch screen.

Both about the same price right now.

My Audio interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
My instruments are Yamaha Disklavier DC3 with 850, Tyros 2 (audio recording only)

So will I be happy with either computer or is it time for this 30 year PC guy to buy a MAC?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180225_224536.jpg (54.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by danm190; 09-02-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:54 PM

Default Re: IMac 27" vs HP Envy 34" ?

Pro Tools works well on both platforms. Get the best CPU (i7 hex with high clock speed) that you can afford. Do ALL Avid recommend system tweaks.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:01 PM

Just curious, what do you mean by Tyros 2 not compatible with Pro Tools? We have a Tyros 5 that someone left as payment for studio work but got hit with bad times and left the Tyros 5 here for us and I use it quite a bit with PT both audio and midi. The Tyros series are the same so just wanted to ask why you say that.

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-01-2018, 10:03 PM

The Tyros2 is old, pro tools won't recognize it.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm190 View Post
The Tyros2 is old, pro tools won't recognize it.
The Tyros keyboards doesn't integrate into Pro Tools, you need midi cables and audio out cables. Then setup a midi track and an audio track and record away. The Tyros isn't a interface, just a keyboard and doesn't need to be recognized by PT in order to function. How is yours connected?

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-01-2018, 10:13 PM

I had midi cables hooked up, I tried the USB port, I worked with PT tech support, I tried connecting it with my Focusrite audio interface. I could not get the Tyros 2 to work. I had the latest drivers etc... Spent hours trying to get it to work. Again the Tyros2 is very old... I bought it 15 years ago...
Old 09-02-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I had midi cables hooked up, I tried the USB port, I worked with PT tech support, I tried connecting it with my Focusrite audio interface. I could not get the Tyros 2 to work. I had the latest drivers etc... Spent hours trying to get it to work. Again the Tyros2 is very old... I bought it 15 years ago...
Please explain what you mean by 'could not get the Tyros to work'. What won't it do? If you're trying to use it to enter MIDI or play a vi in PT make sure you have the MIDI cables connected correctly and that things are communicating on the same MIDI channel. You don't say which computer you're trying this on but if the Winbox get MIDI OX which is a free utility that will help diagnose MIDI problems. Or if on the iMac get the free snoize MIDI utility and check your setup with that.

If the Tyros has both 5 pin MIDI and USB MIDI make sure the correct one is set in the Tyros. lot of keyboards that have both will only work on one protocol at a time.

Are you trying to use the Tyros as a control surface? That may well not work.

BTW I have an ancient Yamaha Motif 7 and it works with PT just fine for MIDI work and recording it's internal sounds for the odd time I need them. Doesn't work as a control surface bu then again I don't need that functionality from it. Got the Motif back in 2001/2002 time frame so age doesn't mean a thing. Yeah a couple of the keys are sticky but I can work around that.

QAPLA!
Old 09-02-2018, 02:24 PM

It shows up on the list of devices, the tyros 2 is installed on my Windows 10 Lenovo Thinkpad X1 laptop. I just don't get any response, no input, or output recording on the channel. The odd thing is its worked about 3 times for 30 seconds and then stops responding inside of Protools. (3 times out of trying 1000 times is not very encouraging) IIRC PT has a list of devices its compatible with, the Tyros 2 was not on the list of supported devices. It's been seven months since I've played with it all, I can't remember, I just remember wasting many, many hours trying to get to work.

I had no problem when I use to use Cakewalk 8. I'm sure if I open another basic midi sequencer it would work?

Like I mentioned, PT tech support spent a good two hours trying to solve it.

I have no issues with my Yamaha Disklavier which has an updated dk-850 unit. It shows up in devices list and never has an issue responding.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:28 PM

I'm looking to get a new PC or possibly an IMAC, I will, of course, test it again.

Oh, I remember more now, I tried it on two PC's and the same results, no worky for the Tyros 2.

When speaking about the same price point, I think I'm leaning back toward the HP 34" Envy w/i7 over the IMAC, its basically the IMAC screen vs the HP's better CPU and storage configurations and touch screen.

Last edited by danm190; 09-02-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
It shows up on the list of devices, the tyros 2 is installed on my Windows 10 Lenovo Thinkpad X1 laptop. I just don't get any response, no input, or output recording on the channel. The odd thing is its worked about 3 times for 30 seconds and then stops responding inside of Protools. (3 times out of trying 1000 times is not very encouraging) IIRC PT has a list of devices its compatible with, the Tyros 2 was not on the list of supported devices. It's been seven months since I've played with it all, I can't remember, I just remember wasting many, many hours trying to get to work.

I had no problem when I use to use Cakewalk 8. I'm sure if I open another basic midi sequencer it would work?

Like I mentioned, PT tech support spent a good two hours trying to solve it.

I have no issues with my Yamaha Disklavier which has an updated dk-850 unit. It shows up in devices list and never has an issue responding.
You're still not saying what you're trying to record - MIDI, audio or what? Unless you give us specifics then you're just wasting our time. If MIDI have you tried MIDI OX and what does it show?

There is a list of what's compatible with PT but that is for the HD/HDX versions of PT. Unless that's what you're trying to use then don't worry about it. There's also the matter of control surfaces but again, unless that's what you're trying to do then don't worry about it. Any keyboard with a MIDI connection will work with PT, Sonar, Cubase, whatever. If it works with one it will work with all.

Something that just hit me - if you're using USB connections for MIDI have you turned off ALL power savings measures in Windoze Control Panel? Even Win desktops have the USB ports set to turn off after a certain time by default. And if you're using a USB hub - is it self-powered or bus powered?

QAPLA!