Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-22-2016, 01:56 PM

Default Re: First Home Studio Advice

FWIK a NEW iMac can come in 3 flavours only, entry: standard 7200 HHD (spinner) intermediate: Fusion Drive (a combination of flash memory soldered to the mother board and a standard HDD spinner) and advanced: opting for the super fast m2 flash memory upgrade (PCIe flash/SSD sadly the most expensive but well worth it).

It used to be the case that you could buy an iMac with a Fusion Drive and then "split" it back into it's component parts which worked quite well as you'd end up with one PCIe flash drive large enough to use as a system drive and ANOTHER internal HDD spinner to use as your audio storage drive, sadly Apple has started skimping on the PCIe flash side of things and releasing FD iMacs that once "split" only have around 20gb flash and the rest as spinner... so the only use for the flash component is to house a VERY quick (but small) start up system drive and NOTHING else - not even a basic PT install.

All that aside, there's a surprising amount of room inside the current iMacs and as the PCIe flash storage is housed on the mother board, it is possible to add a 7200rpm HDD internally, it's just not an option Apple offer straight off the bat so you'd have to talk to them direct and get a built to order price, but it can be done.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielH View Post
I'd much prefer to have an internal drive separate to the main drive! Is it a case of adding "flash storage", or a different action? Looking over the specs on the Apple website that's the only thing different to Fusion Drive. Which isn't what I want.

I won't be buying plug-ins. Plenty of stock plug-ins available that can get a job done. I'd rather learn to use the tools I have, than pointlessly adding more tools and still not understanding the use of them.

I'm going to start on headphones and get monitors later down the road. I understand the importance of monitors, and trust me, I will get some. Just later. Plus I share a bedroom with my partner in a shared house, so there isn't opportunity to soundproof until I move out. The important thing for me at the moment is futureproofing myself with a good desktop. So that when I can get to the next stage, I already have most of my setup ready.

I have a full setup as a guitarist, so a 4x12cab, amp head, pedalboard, and several guitars. One day a Axe FX would replace most of my current setup. Which likely will become the interface if I only want to do guitar related things.
You have a 4 x 12 cab in a shared house and want to do bedroom recording.... I'd really suggest looking at a amp simulator/processor like the Eleven Rack.

If you are going to spend money on a low-end interface anyhow I'd much rather go with an Eleven Rack. It can do amp/cab and effects sims and be an basic interface as well. Buy one off EBay or similar for ~$300. Just make sure it is a recent one with the Expansion Pack as standard. Or bite the bullet and get an Axe FX sooner (sell your current amp?).

When trying to mix on headphones I would normally want a headphone amp that does cross feed to simulate a speaker/monitors in a room. Meir Audio (http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de) and at higher price points Grace Design (http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m920/m920.htm) make really headphone amps/monitor controllers that do that. The headphone output in the Eleven Rack, and many other low-end interfaces is nothing to write home about.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:39 AM

Hey Daniel.

Welcome to the DUC. I just wanted to quick comment on this.
I noticed you are receiving responses (good advice) from all around the world. Isn't that the coolest?
Thats all I wanted to add. Hope your studio is successful and fun.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielH View Post
Hi, first...........................

Interface
I won't be needing more than 2 inputs for now as I'm a 'bedroom based guitarist', so a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Edition is sufficient for my needs. I'm mostly getting the setup together to learn/put mixing skills to practice.

Thanks to all.
Dan,

Like you, I'm a bit of a noob. I'll share, at risk of personal embarrassment, a few of my rookie mistakes.

I had a 2i4. A buddy came by the house and we could not record two guitars and two vocals with the 2i4. I sold the 2i4 and bought an 18i24, which I had wanted in the first place. But I talked myself into "saving money" and bought the 2i4. Buy the time I paid the flea bay fees, I pretty well lost all that I spent on the 2i4. You can not expand with a 2i4. There is no ADAT in or out. Buy an interface with multiple preamps and ADAT IN/OUT. For Thunderbolt, Clarett 8 Pre is the ticket. You will never regret that one!

When upgrading a Mac, Macsales.com is hard to beat. All items are intended for Macs. Items are designed and tested for Macs. They have SSDs that out perform the OEM SSDs. I can not explain why I bought a 1TB hybrid drive for an internal drive. I had a brain fart! Don't do that! I have no association of any kind with macsales.

Another mistake I made was a guitar interface, the BOSS GT-001. Now for some, that is ideal, as it is killer! But for ProTools and me, nothing beats the Eleven Rack. So guess who has a GT-001 to flea-bay and lose some more folding green stuff?

Wish you all the best!
YMMV!