Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-11-2019, 01:02 AM

Default After Update to High Sierra Problem with Desk Icons and Window sizes

I have the following problem after the update to High Sierra ...

After a restart, all the icons on the desktop are moved. As if you would sort them under the Finder menu item "Display / Cleanup by / Name". In addition, the Finder does not keep the window positions and sizes of folders as they were when last closed.

I suppose that both somehow hang together. Maybe someone here in this fantastic forum can give me a hint on how to fix the problem. Thank you in advance !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 12-12-2019, 07:45 AM

Default Re: After Update to High Sierra Problem with Desk Icons and Window sizes

no one ? ;-)

Old 12-12-2019, 09:42 AM

Default Re: After Update to High Sierra Problem with Desk Icons and Window sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
I have the following problem after the update to High Sierra ...
After a restart, all the icons on the desktop are moved. As if you would sort them under the Finder menu item "Display / Cleanup by / Name". In addition, the Finder does not keep the window positions and sizes of folders as they were when last closed.

I suppose that both somehow hang together. Maybe someone here in this fantastic forum can give me a hint on how to fix the problem. Thank you in advance !
For your first issue when in Finder go to the view menu and pull down to 'sort by' and select 'none' and there will be no sort. As to the second one I've not had that problem.

QAPLA!
Old 12-12-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
For your first issue when in Finder go to the view menu and pull down to 'sort by' and select 'none' and there will be no sort. As to the second one I've not had that problem.
I have always set this exactly as you recommend ... the Finder seems to ignore this after a reboot. As a workaround I use a little app called "Desktop Icon Manager" which saves the icon positions on the desktop and can restore them, but after every restart all icons are again messed up

Old 12-13-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
I have always set this exactly as you recommend ... the Finder seems to ignore this after a reboot. As a workaround I use a little app called "Desktop Icon Manager" which saves the icon positions on the desktop and can restore them, but after every restart all icons are again messed up
I´ve found the culprit...

It was an app called "Blue Harvest" which is intended to automatically delete ds.store files on external drives, f.e. usb-sticks, which are created by the mac os. Those files store the size and position of windows in the Finder. For some unknown reason this app deleted the ds.store files on the system drive, so after every restart any window opened on the default position and in the default size. Same with the desktop Icons.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:42 AM

Why the "extra" .ds_store files bothered you in the first place beats me ut good you got it sorted
Old 12-13-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Why the "extra" .ds_store files bothered you in the first place beats me ut good you got it sorted
These files are a bit annoying especially on a USB stick, for example if I want to listen to music in the car, my car radio had problems with it