Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2009, 03:18 AM

Unhappy Digi! Please help! Slow startup!

After some unsucsessfull attempt to install PT8 LE on my all-new MacPro, I try the same with PTHD8. But I have the same result - 10 minut freeze on Building Edit Window, than about 5 minut on Building Transport Window, after that Edit Window is open and PT not responding. All tips about cleaning prefs, repairing permissions and combo update is done exactly. Nothing to help! My spec is:

MacPro dual xeon 3.2
RAM 8 Gb
2x WD 500Gb each
ATI 2600
Apple Cinema 20''
HD2
96i\o
Mbox2Pro& PT LE

No third party Plug-ins yet, no additional apps, only clean new MacPro
7.4.2 is working fine, but my investor was very impressed by my words about PT8, and I have now bad face! Please, Help me!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Digi! Please help! Slow startup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND2639 View Post
After some unsucsessfull attempt to install PT8 LE on my all-new MacPro, I try the same with PTHD8. But I have the same result - 10 minut freeze on Building Edit Window, than about 5 minut on Building Transport Window, after that Edit Window is open and PT not responding. All tips about cleaning prefs, repairing permissions and combo update is done exactly. Nothing to help! My spec is:

MacPro dual xeon 3.2
RAM 8 Gb
2x WD 500Gb each
ATI 2600
Apple Cinema 20''
HD2
96i\o
Mbox2Pro& PT LE

No third party Plug-ins yet, no additional apps, only clean new MacPro
7.4.2 is working fine, but my investor was very impressed by my words about PT8, and I have now bad face! Please, Help me!
Hi,

Just checking you haven't installed LE and HD on the same system drive? and the LE hardware is unplugged from the computer.

Make sure everything PT is un-installed using the uninstaller in the applications/digidesign/pro tool utilities folder. after uninstalling repair permission and reboot the mac, then re-install PT HD 8 totally fresh.

This is with 2 independent installs? LE and HD? this also could be hardware. try removing half of the ram sticks and try booting PT, then switch them around and try using the ram stick you removed etc. try to eliminate faulty ram.

The installs are working fine for 99% of people so it must be something specific to your system.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:38 AM

Thanks, Chris! Before I trying install HD, I completely remove all instances of LE and manually cleaning all specific location. Mbox is currently on my Dell Vostro notebook, where PT LE8 is working perfect! Now will experiment with RAM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 AM

I remove 2x2Gb - nothing to change, I exchange RAM randomly and one next to each other - nothing to change!!!!! Any idea?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:22 AM

After all, it wan't to work. I have bad Mac? Or I'm - bad? All what i do not helping me! And Digi muted. Anyone, tell me something! Please!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:52 PM

At now, I remove 4x2Gb additional installed RAM, install only 2x1Gb, wish come with MacPro from dealer, put out added two hard disks, still installed 320Gb WD Barracuda, erase all partition, install Leo 10.5.2, make all recomended by Digi&Co settings, repair permissions, install combo update 10.5.5, one more time repair permissions, install iLock software and driver, restart, install PT8 HD, reboot, and have freezed PT after 12 minut of launch.
No more words. I alone?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND2639 View Post
At now, I remove 4x2Gb additional installed RAM, install only 2x1Gb, wish come with MacPro from dealer, put out added two hard disks, still installed 320Gb WD Barracuda, erase all partition, install Leo 10.5.2, make all recomended by Digi&Co settings, repair permissions, install combo update 10.5.5, one more time repair permissions, install iLock software and driver, restart, install PT8 HD, reboot, and have freezed PT after 12 minut of launch.
No more words. I alone?
Hi,

Have you tried removing the included ram and using only 2gb of the new additional ram sticks? it might be the original ram thats faulty!!

This could be even something else in the hardware of the computer! you might need to get the computer to a repair centre or apple dealer and get them to test the computer.

Are you testing with everything disconnected? disconnect everything USB and Firewire, use only the apple keyboard and mouse and nothing else connected to the mac.

Re-seat (take them out and place them back in making sure they are all seated in correctly) all the PCI cards and flex cables between the cards! just make sure everything is tight and connected in the correct order.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:18 PM

Thanks, Chris again! You only one try to help me! I have nothing connected to FireWire, and only keyboard and mouse on USB. Added Ram, or any of previous installed - the same. Will re-install HD and video card, but, if somthing wrong on this, - Mac entirely will working without error? DigiTest is always passed and show me all installed card and 96i/o.
PT8 freses only on Buiding Edit Window and after, till that it show me all Air Plugs initialised, Hardware initilaised and make it all fast and smoothly. It even give me move freesed edit, mix and transport window after opening!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:45 PM

Out of nowhere PT8 started taking may minutes to open. I tried EVERYTHING, including all of the typical fixes and even some deep single-user mode cleanup - nothing worked.

Finally I uninstalled PT8 and then reinstalled. It worked, and it hasn't been a problem since.

I don't know if a reinstall would fix your particular problem but it might be an option.