Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Default can I use an additional monitor screen

Hello. I'm using pro tools LE with a digi 02 rack. i have a macbook pro, can i use an additional monitor screen with the macbook, one for edit window and one for mix window, and if so how can i do this? thank you.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:29 PM

Default Re: can I use an additional monitor screen

Yes of course...

Just connect a monitor via the appropriate cable/adapter to the mini display port connector on the Mac. The type you need will depend on your monitor..

Then in system preferences you will need to set the monitor to extend the desktop in stead of mirroring it..

Then just drag your windows where you want them
Old 11-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post

Then in system preferences you will need to set the monitor to extend the desktop in stead of mirroring it..

Then just drag your windows where you want them
Can you elaborate on this??
Old 11-16-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Setting up multiple displays as an extended desktop
If your computer is connected to more than one display or to a TV or projector, you can set them up as a continuous display for your desktop.

Open System Preferences and click Displays.
Click Arrangement and follow the onscreen instructions.
If you are playing a DVD on a television connected to your computer, click the Arrangement button in Displays preferences and move the menu bar to the television. If you don't see an Arrangement button, your computer is only capable of mirroring (showing the same image on all screens). For more information, see the manual that came with your computer.

If you have several displays connected to your computer, you can specify that some are mirrored displays and others show the extended desktop. For example, if you have three displays, you can have two displays showing the same information and the third display showing the extended desktop.

To set up a combination of displays showing mirrored and extended desktop images, set up the three displays as an extended desktop and then Option-drag a display icon onto another display icon to mirror the two displays.
I was paraphrasing a bit in my initial reply, but this is right from Mac Help..

Just plug in the second monitor and see what you get in System Preferences>Displays..

This is pretty basic stuff... Just give it a try.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:15 PM

He means 'System Preferences' in OSX and not Pro Tools. Just to clarify so he won't be looking in Preferences in PT.
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 11-17-2008, 07:49 AM

Thank you very much I will proceed with all of your advice.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:55 AM

I just got through this.
1. Save some time, get your adapter from a Mac dealer, I did find a best buy that sometimes stocked the proper cable, but I dont think this adapter lives in the PC world. its a Mini DVI to xxx, they have 3 different other ends available. I got a mini DVI to DVI, then a DVI to HDMI cable since It is going to my LCD TV. The Mac cable is only about 3", so you'll ned the second one.

2. In your Mac Book go to System Prefs, then to Display. I dont have my Mac with me at work where its all PC, but there are several tabs, look through them untill you see two monitors side by side.

3. Mac is set up to do 2 things with external displays, one is to keep one display on the main puter, and extend the virtual desktop to a second display so you can have 2 windows open. When you mouse to the selected edge, instead of stopping, it continues and your other open app or window is there. In sys prefs, you drag the external monitor to any of the edges of the main monitor to choose the edge. You could have the Mix window on one screen and the edit window in another. This works well when you are using a desk top and large monitor. But since we have dinky displays, we want the other way to use it. Check the "Mirror" box. This has nothing to do with reversing the image, it means that the external display mirrors the main (laptop) display, and there is not a second work area.

Between the 2 cables, I spent about 60 bucks retail.
Mac Lepoard 10.5 Duo Core2, 4G RAM
Glyph GT050Quad500
PT v 7.4.2

Home DAW
MBox 2
MacBook 13" 2.1GHz, 4G RAM
Glyph GT050Quad500
PT v 7.4.2 (v 8 when available)