Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2003, 03:27 AM

Default Analog feel to digital mixes

Hello peoples

Or should I say the big and warm feel or just the warmer feel? I'm basicly trying to understand techniques that one would use to warm up tracks whether it be vox or drums.I talked to this dude that told me that you could record to, reel to reel tape(analog) and then bring it into PTs(digital)and it will retain a certain warmth.My interest is in electronica and house and I'm just trying to understand recording and processing options. Tracking drums and synths digitally(Reason) is my way at this point with the occasional sample taken from a record and possibly tweeked to something I like. I feel like I'm bumbling around at this point when it comes to this analog, digital thing.I'm just trying to understand the basic diferences between analog and digital when it comes to making music.Any input would be cool. Thanx.

DJ
Old 05-07-2003, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Analog feel to digital mixes

I usually concentrate on making the digital mix as nice as possible. If I want to warm it up, I will add a track of vinyl noise from my turntable...

It works by 'dirtying' the background some...

try it - if you don't have a a turntable then you can get a sample from anywhere (keyboard, download, etc.)
Old 05-07-2003, 08:36 AM

Though I can't afford the plug-ins, the pros seem to use ANALOG emulators to emulate tape/tube/etc to "WARM UP A MIX" These are plug-ins like DaD Valve, and DaD Tape by DUY. Personally I will take my mix, run it through a CLEAN TUBE preamp, and record the final stereo track with the preamp's output.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dmaxj:
If I want to warm it up, I will add a track of vinyl noise from my turntable...

It works by 'dirtying' the background some...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You kids... I'm speachless... almost. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
You're adding to the noise floor on purpose? And turntable rumble no less?
Old 05-07-2003, 09:51 AM

Of course, nothing beats hitting tape and flying into PT, or routing your siganal through a great tube preamp, (both of which I've done plenty of) however, Antares makes a GREAT plugin called "Tube" that's an analog tube simulator. I've been using it a lot lately, both on individual tracks, and in small doses on my master fader.

It can really help to add analog type "warmth" to digital tracks. Bets of all, it's only $99, which is a killer price of an RTAS plug-in.

You can download the 10 day fully functional demo at www.antarestech.com

Hope this helps!

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 05-07-2003, 10:40 AM

I'll 2nd Jackson on the Antares Tube.

I've used it on several tracks as well as the final output on a couple of sessions. I had vocal tracks that needed some warmth so I inserted the Tube as the 1st insert in those tracks, made a big difference.

Cheers,
Toby
Old 05-07-2003, 11:05 AM

the Antares TUBE is great! with the double option of blue and red tube...there is another plug called: Mic modeler, again from Antares, they include tube mics in the list...you can check that too... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 01:11 AM

Thanx fellas

I'll check the Anteras tube out soon.It will be a great experiment when I get my song to a certain point. I need to learn more about outboard equipment and how to route signal in and out. Bussing and sending and returning and connecting is still new to me in sooo many ways. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanx again folks.

DJ
Old 05-08-2003, 05:49 AM

We run in the analog domain for all procesing, including having an analog console (Soundtracs SoloLogic). While the majority of our recording is done on a Mackie HDR Pro, add'l tracks are done in PT (via an 001). we find the use of good tube and valve preamps, analog dynamics controllers, etc, helps to recreate the analog feel to music.

While it can never replace pinning the meters to 2", our clients feel it gives the music the analog warmth they are loooking for while having the flexability fo the digital domain.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 6969:
I need to learn more about outboard equipment and how to route signal in and out. Bussing and sending and returning and connecting is still new to me in sooo many ways.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Maybe this is an interesting article for you: http://industryclick.com/magazinearticle.asp?magazinearticleid=139653&magaz ineid=33&siteID=15&releas eid=9826&mode=print