Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2000, 03:11 PM

Default Athlon users

Is there anyone using an Athlon with a MS6167 mobo or Irongate chipset.
I have:
Athlon 500
MS 6167
128mg PC100Ram
Ati Rage Pro AGP card
Voodoo2
Seagate Baracuda UDMA66 HD
Windows 98
After installing the 001, everything looks OK. Control panel system device manager reports device working poperly,
everythings OK in multimedia properties etc.
Digi test passes every time.
But as soon as I try using the digi drivers
or running Pro Tools the system either hangs,
playes a couple seconds of audio(in Sound Forge)& then crashes so badly I have to reboot or gives me the 6010 error.
As far as running Pro Tools I can't even start the program(either hangs or gives 6004 error-can't accuire hardware).Although a couple times I did managed to pass the registration just to be greated with another error and Pro Tools exiting.

I tried all the solutions I could think of:

Format HD, clean install windows,
taken all the other cards out,
tried every PCI slot,
Disabled UDMA66,
Tried different graphics card etc.

If there's anybody using the same mobo/chipset or a succesful
Athlon/motherboard configuration,please let me know because this thing is driving me mad and being a student, I can't afford a new machine.

Old 07-19-2000, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Athlon users

What all do or did you have installed in your system, as far as sound/audio cards are concerned. It sounds like you have not set the 001 one as the perferred recording and playback device, which will give you that error when you open PT( and sometimes crash). Make sure you go to the control panel, open the multimedia settings, and then select the 001 as the perferred playback, and recording device, and push apply. I hope this fixes the problem.

Christian
Old 07-19-2000, 05:13 PM

Hi Christian,

PTLE should not require that the Digi001 be selected as the preferred Multimedia playback device. Have you experienced a problem in this area? PTLE doesn't use the wave driver, but rather talks to the hardware directly.

Eric Day
DAE Engineer

BTW, thanks for all your help on this board. It's very kind of you to share your PC knowledge with everyone.
Old 07-19-2000, 07:58 PM

Thanks for your advice crs117.

I had digi set as the preferred device but it still makes no difference. In fact, while it was set like that, it tend to bring the whole machine(graphics) down to a crawl even when using non music software(MS word). I even renamed the digi16.dll to stop the driver from loading.This sorted my graphics problem but Pro Tools still won't launch. Normaly, it would stop at the 'launching DAW' and come up with the 'error 6004'.
By the way, there are no other sound cards in my system and I tried running 001 in my dad's PC (PII 400, 440BX). It works like a dream. Each PCI slot is being used, there is a Yamaha SW1000 installed and there is no conflicts at all, so i'm shure the 001 is ok. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by crs117:
What all do or did you have installed in your system, as far as sound/audio cards are concerned. It sounds like you have not set the 001 one as the perferred recording and playback device, which will give you that error when you open PT( and sometimes crash). Make sure you go to the control panel, open the multimedia settings, and then select the 001 as the perferred playback, and recording device, and push apply. I hope this fixes the problem.

Christian
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-20-2000, 01:15 AM

Well actually Eric,
Yes my computer has a problem if the 001 is not set as the perferred multimedia device. The first time I ran into this i simply changed it, and i have had no problems since. I did change it back to experiment with running a final wave file through my SB live (to see if there was an audible difference in audio quality between it and my 001), but before i could open pro tools and work in it again, i had to reset the 001 as the perferred device. I am not really having problems, but i hope this info may help out. Here is my system

Dell XPS 333 (heavily modified)
440 LX (cannot change north and south bridge multipliers)
66 FSB (it was overclocked before my 001, but didnt want to fry it with out of spec PCI)
SB live (all midi disabled in PT config)
V550 TNT by diamond
192 megs of ram
56k modem (disabled in PT config)
8.4 gig 5500 Rpm drive
20 gig 7200 rpm drive
2x dvd drive
4x2x2 CD-RW drive (old school mitsubishi)

Christian
Old 07-20-2000, 05:45 PM

Hello Eric, 11 again.
I see you've been pretty quiet on the whole subject, but can't you at least give us an insight if there are any tests being done/problems encountered as far as athlon is concerned. Being a student,I don't want to be getting a new machine(this one is only 4 months old)unless I really have to. It would help people like me decide if they should wait a little longer or forget the whole thing and go for a PIII/Mac.

Thanks, 11.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Digi Engineering:
Hi Christian,

PTLE should not require that the Digi001 be selected as the preferred Multimedia playback device. Have you experienced a problem in this area? PTLE doesn't use the wave driver, but rather talks to the hardware directly.

Eric Day
DAE Engineer

BTW, thanks for all your help on this board. It's very kind of you to share your PC knowledge with everyone.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>