Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2000, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Help!!! Mac vs. PC Platform for Digi 001?

Sorry Chris,
I was not trying to argue with you, i was just stating a few observations i have made while working in PT in terms of Software. Probley one of the biggest things missing that most Window applications use (that I really wish would be used) is right cliking to edit. I mean like right click drag to place, copy, past, cut delete right there when you right click. I really miss that, and other hard disk software for windows i have worked with allow that.

Christian
Old 07-21-2000, 03:13 AM

Hi all

Well this kinda question is bound to open the floodgates of MAC/PC rivalry! Just had to add my two cents worth after reading this discussion. I'm not one to generally favour Mac or PC. I mostly work at professional studios, who all own Mac's. At home I have a PC. I take work hame sometimes to edit or do the quieter overdubs. As long as you remember to toast the files in ISO format, the PC has no trouble opening the session and Mac's deal just fine with PC data. (One advantage of a Mac is that it will open a PC file but a PC will not open, or sometimes even recognise a Mac file)

I have a PC at home because I can basically build two PC's for the price of a G4.

My point being that if you have the abilty to build a computer yourself and you dont want the cool box and monitor, there's no point that I can see to spending the extra cash!!

Matt.

PS if you do buy a G4, get an older mouse for the sake of your wrist!!!
Old 07-21-2000, 04:46 AM

To M@tt:

Being a fellow guitarist, I thought I'd chime in. As far as sounds, it is my understanding that amp modeling plug ins (e.g. ampfarm) are in the category of "plugins available on MAC not available on PC", which is one reason why I got a POD from Line6. I've been really happy running my POD through my fender amp, and miking it. I also use an outboard preamp(haven't really tried the Digi001preamps). No regrets about the POD, as I needed to upgrade my effects processor anyway.

Speaking of plugins, and being somewhat "vocally challenged", I was hoping for pitch correction. Again, Antares autotune is evidently available for MAC and not PC.

Being and ADAT user, one thing I liked about DIGI001 was the built in lightpipe connection. I didn't think to ask whether it could actually SYNC to an ADAT. From reading the conference, there are evidently problems, though I haven't had the chance to experiment with it much myself.

Until a couple years ago, I had been monitoring with headphones only. The monitors are absolutely worth it. I'd check out the Event products before you decide.

To All:
Something I'm curious about, which I didn't see addressed, is if the MAC does any better at syncing to ADAT than the PC. Anybody know?????

[This message has been edited by DanW (edited July 21, 2000).]
Old 07-21-2000, 07:37 AM

Christian,

No worries. Those observations are right on the money.

Chris