Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2000, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Help!!! Mac vs. PC Platform for Digi 001?

one word...insecurity

check out the DUC for both platforms

chad

Old 07-18-2000, 04:19 PM

Thanks to all of you who took time out to help answer my initial question.

I apologize for the waste of list space that always seems to be the side effect to these kind of questions and creates a resultant crossfire of emotive Mac vs. PC flaming. I am just genuinely trying to ascertain which platform to build my project studio around.

Besides the computer and the Digi 001 package, can anyone offer insight into what else is reasonably essential to getting a decent project studio up and running. i.e., the best plug-ins for common tasks such as reverb, compression, and eq'ing (or is this included with the Digi 001), the best hardware and software for CD mastering and burning, and whether headphones will suffice or should I just add a pair of Mackie HR824's to the bill now =-)?

I'm a guitarist, so the majority of the initial use for the studio will be miking guitar cabs and running DI for the guitars, MIDI sequencing of drums, keys, and bass (any great plug-ins or other software for this?), and doing some vocal tracks. Are the mic pre-amps sufficient, or do you really need something outboard?

Thanks for all your continued help and patience =-)
Old 07-18-2000, 06:37 PM

If you think there are issues between Mac and a PC platform wait until you hear everyones opinions on gear. Personly I have seen some great suggestion on what to use, what not to use. As far as the Digi pre-amps you will get different opinions on that also, some people love them others just hate them. I would say mostly it will really depend on what you want to do, what kind of sound you want, and how much you want to spend. I would get your system up and use it then you can deside what is really best and how you should spend your money. Well good luck
Old 07-18-2000, 11:11 PM

Look on the bright side : amidst all this, I get to be called "a grown man" ! Wow, that took a while.

Kasper : everything's cool. No hard feelings whatsoever.

Peace & Cheers

------------------
Paul Curtiz / Scratch Studio
Old 07-18-2000, 11:49 PM

Hey M@tt,

Whatever you do, take a look at the Yamaha MSP10 monitors before you decide on the Mackie 824's. I was sold on the Mackies, and luckily got a chance to hear the Yamahas. The MSP10s, which are a brand new model by the way, blew the Mackies away. They are the best kept secret out there, to my ears. $599 each, only $50 more than the Mackies and well worth it.

AG
Old 07-19-2000, 07:30 PM

Toecat,

I really appreciate your posts and support. All of us at Wave strive to be professional and helpful. After all, everyone here is a musician, engineer, project studio owner, as well as a technician, so to us its more than a business, it'a a passion. My own personal feeling is Mac, PC is a matter of comfort for the user. After all you are making music. May as well do so in the format you feel most comfortable doing so. We'll just keep designing and building our systems work to the same professional standards we expect our own personal systems to work at. That's a guarentee! Once again I thank you for the kind words

Chris Richmond
Wave Digital Systems www.wavedigital.com

[This message has been edited by Chris R (edited July 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Chris R (edited July 19, 2000).]
Old 07-20-2000, 12:42 AM

I really dont want to get into this whole debate, but i must say that the win version of PT LE must be very similar to the mac version. Some of the things you take for granted in windows applications are mysteriously missing in PT Le for win. I noticed that the windows (inside of the PT window) have the x box in the right hand corner grayed out, you have to push the close button. It does not take advantage of the mouse (especially with the scroll wheel, which would be nice). Also many of the other little touches really resemble the mac interface. I am just saying that even if you are used to windows applications, dont expect PT LE to be 100% familure. You cannot take for granted many window based features like you do in other windows applications.

As far as other ideas concerning setup. The hardware is the same on mac, as it is on PC, meaning the pre amps, etc are the same. I am glad they included preamps cause they work fine for my acoustic, but before running a mic into the 001, i run it through an external pre amp. I dont have a real expensive mic, but the preamps included seem kinda toney (if thats a word), and dry. I use my external pre amp to kinda warm it up a little. Maybe a more expensive vocal mic would help, but right now i can make do with what i have.

Christian
Old 07-20-2000, 07:19 AM

Christian,

I'm not sure if you were refering to my statements. I was actually just responding to Toecat. He stated in an an earlier post that he was a G4 guy. That's really all I meant by my statement regarding Mac and PC. They both work well when used properly. It's a preference I think. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Chris
Old 07-20-2000, 08:36 AM

"G4 custom with dual SCSI $4000.00 no card
PIII-700 dual SCSI digi-001 $3399.00 shipped"

You don't need dual scsi to run the 001 on either box. Anyway, you can get a G4 for $1599 or the DUAL G4/500 for $3149 (cheaper than your PIII).

And have you run the 001 on both boxes? What's the number of plugins you can get on each (without this info, the rest of your post is completely meaningless)?

"1. mac expensive upgradable by a tech at $$100 dollars an hour...."

If you need a tech to upgrade your G4, you're incompetent. It's the easiest machine to upgrade I've ever seen.

"4.Ram is twice as much"

OK, give me the URL of a site listing 128 meg for $70 or 256 meg simms for $135. Or admit you're wrong.

"but a PC hand built by a tech who knows the proper hardware and configuration tactics can built a cheaper faster more upgradable recording
Monster to swallow up your buddies orange powerbook that resembles 60's tupperware and neon 2000-beetle (joke)..."

If your peecee is really faster, how many plugs are you getting on it? And how many on the mac?

"take it from me a g3 owner and PC builder, if I want tommorow I can put a Gigachip in my PC plug it in and wahla 20 plug-in's
we'll maybe when they sell for $500 bucks
6 months!!!"

The CPU's are upgradable in G4's as well, you can do the exact same thing in a mac. "Wahla" (sic).

"any ways if you want the best computer money can buy for the lowest price in the USA
drop me a line and save $1000.00 for the same power and reliability"
"http://drastiksolutions.11net.com"

News flash: PeeCee vendor recommends PeeCee's over Macs! Stop the presses!

"this comes from the horses mouth Mac G4 and PC PII-700 owner"

...and peecee seller. No wonder you're so biased (and uninformed about macs).

(and PS, you're not supposed to spam the user conference. lame peecee "sales" site, by the way - you don't do realtime quotes? what is this, 1992?)

Mike
Old 07-20-2000, 08:58 AM

Reply to somebody way above: "for me to poop on," originally gracing the end of Drastikpup's contentious post, is from the Conan O'Brian show. It's a hand puppet dog who says things like, "Yeah, Conan, you know this is a REALLY great show you have, really. . . . FOR ME TO POOP ON." It's pretty stupid, but after a while, late at night, one begins to chuckle. And I'm sure everyone was just dying to know this...So important to making good audio. Not.