Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-18-2015, 11:33 AM

Default Delayed Playback in Headphones

Windows 7. Beefy 24GB i7 core CPU with internal fire wire card. Using MBOX 3 and Pro Tools 12.

Seem to be a very common issue from my googlin however nothing I've read has fixed my problem.

I want to be clear that this problem happens even outside of recording. This is the reaction I get. I hear my voice delayed in the headphones when I speak. So if I said "oh say can you see" i would hear my voice in the headphones perhaps .5 second delay.

Using an XLR and CAD condenser mic I plug it into input one on my mbox. Using mbox headphone jack 1 is how I hear myself yet there's a slight delay no matter what settings I've adjusted so obviously I'm doing something wrong

I've already adjusted my buffer size from 128 to 64bit (lowest available )tho I'd like to say that has helped some the problem is very much still there. I've checked the detect low latency button too.

Am I doing something wrong in my setup? If I'm using XLR input 1 on the inbox should I be using 1/4 jack output #1 vs headphone jack 1? In my mind I think it shouldnt matter. A jack is a jack

Anyway I appreciate any thoughtful input

Last edited by GoGoJoe; 12-20-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Delayed Playback in Headphones

You should be using the headphone jack if you are using headphones. However, I don't know why you are having this problem. Should be no difference in latency between the headphone jack and the main outs since the headphone jack mirrors the mains.

Make sure you have low latency monitoring on if you are using heavy latency plugins.

Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61, Focal Alpha 80, UAD 2 Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Satellite Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Neve R6 "Lunch Box", Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Neumann TLM49

Pro Tools 2018.10

Mac Pro 4,1 (5,1 upgrade), Early-2009, 3.46GHz Nehalem 12-Core, 32GB RAM - OS 10.12.6

13" MacBook Pro, Late-2011, 2.4GHz Dual Core i5, 16GB RAM - OS 10.12.6

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - OS 10.12.6
Old 12-18-2015, 01:48 PM

If latency is an issue for you while tracking look at hardware monitoring in your Mbox... specifically read about the Mbox driver control panel in the documentation. That will give you effectively zero latency monitoring via the hardware, obviously you can't put Pro Tools plugins live on the input.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-18-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If latency is an issue for you while tracking look at hardware monitoring in your Mbox... specifically read about the Mbox driver control panel in the documentation. That will give you effectively zero latency monitoring via the hardware, obviously you can't put Pro Tools plugins live on the input.
This, also enable Low Latency Monitoring from the Options menu in Pro Tools. LLM and hardware monitoring work hand-in-hand, and in my experience the Mbox 3 handles this setup with no problem.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:30 PM

Go to View>Mix Window Shows>check Delay Compensation. Now look across the bottom of the MIX window at the values shown in this new box. If you see anything showing more than 0-7 samples, that is probably the problem. Make plugins inactive until you see single digits, and that should solve the delay If this works, its up to you to figure out which plugins are at fault, and how you wish to go about getting around it. My solution is to leave those guilty plugins inactive until its time to mix

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-18-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
You should be using the headphone jack if you are using headphones. However, I don't know why you are having this problem. Should be no difference in latency between the headphone jack and the main outs since the headphone jack mirrors the mains.

Make sure you have low latency monitoring on if you are using heavy latency plugins.
Thanks, upon my first Google search I enabled low latency monitoring. For my issue that doesn't seem to make a hill of beans difference.. on or off the problem remains and no change is noticed either way so it must be something else..

I'very tried just about everything you can find on Google (first two pages of results). I'm completely out of the box on just about everything. I don't use any plug ins, additional features. I mean I literally just set this stuff up like yesterday. I'm not new to computers or DAW I usta use ACID Pro but thats nothin in comparison to this.

I did have to purchase a PCI express card and mount it in my CPU as my i7 core didn't come with firewire. Do any of you think this could be the weak link? I wouldn't think so but I guess anything is possible
Old 12-18-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
This, also enable Low Latency Monitoring from the Options menu in Pro Tools. LLM and hardware monitoring work hand-in-hand, and in my experience the Mbox 3 handles this setup with no problem.

I have enabled but no change whatsoever is noticed. If what Darryl is saying is slightly different. . Should I give that a shot? I have no idea what he's talking about so someone please walk me though. .I am reading the manual when I have time but nothing I've seen addresses this. Do you guys think that a particular type of hardware I have maybe a bottle kneck or is this all a matter of tweaking
Old 12-18-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Go to View>Mix Window Shows>check Delay Compensation. Now look across the bottom of the MIX window at the values shown in this new box. If you see anything showing more than 0-7 samples, that is probably the problem. Make plugins inactive until you see single digits, and that should solve the delay If this works, its up to you to figure out which plugins are at fault, and how you wish to go about getting around it. My solution is to leave those guilty plugins inactive until its time to mix
So I'm completely bone stock. Would a plugin automatically be installed / enabled if I haven't purposely done it? I originally purchased pro tools 11 but didn't touch it for a year and when I activated it automatically upgraded me to 12.. it downloaded a TON of ****.. I'm sure plugins were inclued but not sure on if plugins are enabled on my mic by default
Old 12-18-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoJoe View Post
I have enabled but no change whatsoever is noticed. If what Darryl is saying is slightly different. . Should I give that a shot? I have no idea what he's talking about so someone please walk me though. .I am reading the manual when I have time but nothing I've seen addresses this. Do you guys think that a particular type of hardware I have maybe a bottle kneck or is this all a matter of tweaking
You need to first do what Darryl said, then do what I said. They're two parts of the same solution.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoJoe View Post
Windows 7. Beefy 24GB i7 core CPU and buffer size 64bit (lowest available)
?

http://www.mmvstudios.com