Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 03:03 PM

Default just a little OT: Anyone know MAYA??

I'm thinking of learning Maya as a second (3rd, 4th,.....12th) skill.
Anyone here working with it and can give insight??
Learning curve? Extra costs?

Thanks
Rob
Old 04-08-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: just a little OT: Anyone know MAYA??

What I know of Maya is that it's free for a personal learning version, and it's full feature, not a striped down version like AVID Free or PT Free. And there is a lots of tutorial files on the Alias site. I tried it, I did not had time to learn it, but it's a simple download and install.

In the 3D software market, there is no "one software domination" like MS office. The skills you learn are easily usable on another software, and the basic terminology is the same on all software because it was invented for architecture, way before any computer.

If it can bring you some fun or some job, it's a good try. If you don't like it, you only lost time, not money.

If you like it, it can be very expensive to create your own studio. Render farm, employes, dinner with Disney CEO to convince him to go with you instead of Pixar, personal jet...

JC
Old 04-08-2005, 04:42 PM

(in Homer Simpson voice)

WooHooo!
Old 04-14-2005, 05:16 PM

I have no experince with MAYA, but I do a bit of 3D as a hobby. You may consider looking into CINEMA 4D, www.maxon.net. While not yet quite the industry standard as MAYA or 3DMax, it's VERY powerfull and capable, but the learning curve and UI is much more friendly and easier than MAYA. (I read a lot of 3D forums and talk with a lot of people.) I have jumped into it quite quickly, and there are a lot of great websites and forums with tuts covering everything. From what I hear, with CINEMA 4D you'll have fun, be inspired, and make quick progress, while with ssome others you'll just get frustrated and lose interest quicker. I know, everyone has there own preferences, but I can vouch for CINEMA 4D and can ofer mmore resources or input if you like. It's a great diversion from audio for me.