Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 08:29 PM

Default automating plug-in presets?

Hello, did a search but found nothing. Is there a way to automate presets for plugs? I thought there was but I 've been trying and I RTFM, but still have found nothing.

PT 6.2.2, OS 10.3.1

Thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 10:23 PM

Default Re: automating plug-in presets?

No, I have not yet came across the ability to do that either. But you can automate the plug settings themselves as you probably know, so with that , with a little more time you can create what ever it is you are trying to do. In other words copy each presets settings manually to a automation of the settings at the different times in the song you would want each preset to come in at, and you got it.

Or you can put the same plug in on the track multipule times (as many as different presets you want) and set each one permanently to the preset of your liking different for each one. Then go and automate the "Master Bypass" of each plug in to cut out, and on when you want which ever ones preset to be active....

Hope This Helps--
Old 09-16-2004, 05:19 AM

by using "write auto to all parameters" you can make a plug completely switch all settings at the same time. just select where you want your first preset, arm all parameters, select write to all parameters. then do the same where you want the second set.
drew

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:05 AM

I wish for a way to do it by the preset file, just like program changes sent by midi to an outboard reverb unit.....

matt
Old 09-16-2004, 06:36 AM

Quote:
I wish for a way to do it by the preset file, just like program changes sent by midi to an outboard reverb unit.....

This is easy. Set up as dmasurek said above, put your plug-in in write mode, park where you want the change to occur, and select a new pre-set from the presets file. When you start to write automation (ie "play"), your preset will change automatically at the play time. Don't forget to take the plug-in out of write before going back! If you have enabled "write to end" then that preset will stay until told to do otherwise. The plug-in name will not change in the preset window, but the parameters will.

Note that there is some delay in loading the new preset, particularly with the more complicated plug-ins such as reverbs. If you need instantaneous plug-in changes, you might want to use the bypass method, or have two send/return fx loops set up and altenate between them. EQ's are usually pretty fast, but can thump if a program change is made during program material.

rcm
Old 09-16-2004, 08:24 AM

Eventide Reverb, Octavox and Band Delays have snapshot presets, a very cool feature.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 AM

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I do actually use the above methods quite a bit and they work fine. My only problem is when using X-Noise, it changes everything except the noise profile, which can be stored in a preset. Currently, I just audiosuite it, or bounce to a new track, which is ok, just trying to speed things up and have more flexibilty.