Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2000, 07:09 AM

Default Macintosh G4 Cube

I'm brand new to this and was wondering if nayone knew of a good audio tool for voice over work. Our production house does commericals for loacl cable provider and we need to do some voice over stuff. we bout a G4 Cube for just that purpose since there is no fan for the mic to pick up. We also purchased a U2A USB 24 bit A/D, D/A, D/A & SRC box that has ASIO drivers and now works on a Mac. The U2A supplier tells me to use Cusbase, but it is way overkill for what I need to do. I see that Pro Tools 5 will be offered as a freee download from Digi and will not require any special hardware.

Can someone please advise?

Thanks, Bugs [email protected]
Old 10-11-2000, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Macintosh G4 Cube

The only problem I could see is that the G4 cube has no PCI slots, which is required for most quality audio interfaces, unless you can find something that runs off of Firewire or USB. Personally, I use a G4 tower, because of the ability to use audio interface cards. I never tried to use anything other that a pro-tools interface with pro-tools software, but if you can configure the software to accept input from your microphones, it should work okay!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bugs:
I'm brand new to this and was wondering if nayone knew of a good audio tool for voice over work. Our production house does commericals for loacl cable provider and we need to do some voice over stuff. we bout a G4 Cube for just that purpose since there is no fan for the mic to pick up. We also purchased a U2A USB 24 bit A/D, D/A, D/A & SRC box that has ASIO drivers and now works on a Mac. The U2A supplier tells me to use Cusbase, but it is way overkill for what I need to do. I see that Pro Tools 5 will be offered as a freee download from Digi and will not require any special hardware.

Can someone please advise?

Thanks, Bugs [email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 10-11-2000, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Macintosh G4 Cube

Check out the up and coming "Mobile I/O" from Metric Halo. A firewire interface that would work with the cube. http://www.mhlabs.com/