Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-20-2015, 02:47 PM

Default PT 10/11/12 Where to start on the upgrade path

I recently bought my PT 10/11/12 perpetual license upgrade. From PT 10.3.2 running OSX 10.6.8 .

What to do 1st?
Upgrade my OS to Yosemite or El Captin?

Uninstall PT 10 and all drivers?

What version Of PT should I run on my present system?

A new computer is in my future.
I am saving my money for a new one to hopefully buy after the holidays or early spring.

Will my current system while not approved or supported run PT12?

I am not very computer savvy so PT for dummies type instruction is most useful to me.

Thanks
TWM

What I am leery of is what happened when I went from PT LE-8 to PT 10 which was a total hassle
My system stopped working for over a week & avid support had to get their engineers involved to sort out the bugs.

So any advise on what is the best path to to make this as painless as possible is greatly appreciated.

2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 quad core 16Gb ram 256 SSD
OS Sierra 10.12.2 PT12.7 its working for me!

RME FF800, Presonus Digimax 48K & LT, Central station, KRK Roc kit 8v2, KRK Rockit 10s, a plethora of outboard gear …Too many vintage guitars & amps to list!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:11 PM

Default Re: PT 10/11/12 Where to start on the upgrade path

My personal recommendation, keep your current system drive as is and remove it. Assuming your computer(which you did not specify) is compatible with El Cap and PT12.......Install a blank drive and load up the OS, perform all the recommended system tweaks, install PT12 and test. If things open and run okay, this would be a good time to save a drive image. Next, install your extra plugins and test again. Once everything is loaded and working, run it for a few weeks and if all is still solid, another drive image is a good idea. If everything goes sour on you, you will still be able to swap the old system drive back, in and go back to work. Solving problems at your convenience is way better than ripping your hair out because you can't work at all

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-20-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Solving problems at your convenience is way better than ripping your hair out because you can't work at all
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^amen!

Thanks for your fast response & help!

I am running OSX 10.6.8 on a Mac mini 2.53 Ghz 4Gb ram
as my signature states so pulling the OS hard drive is not a easy or practical option on a mini.

Is my best bet is to back up everything on my OS drive to a new Glyph I have in the box?

I do record & back up all of my sessions to 3 different Glyph external hard drives so they are safe I hope.

Thanks again for your help and advise!
TWM

RME FF800, Presonus Digimax 48K & LT, Central station, KRK Roc kit 8v2, KRK Rockit 10s, a plethora of outboard gear …Too many vintage guitars & amps to list!
Old 11-20-2015, 04:55 PM

Default PT 10/11/12 Where to start on the upgrade path

Dave's advice is the way to go for sure! In your case, I would find a Seagate BUplus drive that is USB3 (as long as you have USB 3) and format that to be a OSX 10 drive. Personally, I'd stay away from ElCapitan for the time being. Then install only PT 12.3 and all other things Dave has suggested.

On a sidenote, I would strongly recommend that you up that Ram from 4 to at least 8...but personally I would max it out. You are at a great risk running such low ram. And with with the new PT 12 features 'Disk Cache' you can capitalize on more ram. At which point, if you can do that upgrade you should look at a data doubler, and take that optical drive out and replace it with an SSD. macsales.com check out data doublers and your model.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2018.10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 11-20-2015, 06:07 PM

I second that^^^^ But as I said earlier, you NEED to verify that your computer is compatible with the newest OS and PT12. If you click the link above named Additional Resources, that should get you to info on what works and doesn't

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-21-2015, 05:06 AM

Something not discussed is does the OP want to still use PT10? If so going past Mavericks is a no-no. There are graphics issues with Yosemite and that's even assuming one can install PT10 on it unless one hacks the installer (and please do not use Migration Assassin to move programs over from an old install).

As to the Mac mini itself, from what I can find the ones with the 2.53 GHz cpu are i5 machines and the system drive can be anything from a 5400 rpm spinner to a 256 GB ssd to a Fusion drive. With aftermarket ram they can all be boosted to 16 GB and supposedly can take ElCapitan but as has been said you may not want to go there.

QAPLA!
Old 11-21-2015, 12:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies yes I would still like to run PT 10.
I am running a 5200 RPM spinner on the OS HD and 7200 Rpm Glyphs to record to. Current system is pretty solid no crashes no problems!

I have already run in to an issue trying download my licenses.
The new ilock license manager wants a newer OS. the on I am running to make PT10 happy is a no go for pace.

When I try to upgrade to Yosemite apple wants me to move directly to el cap! WTF?

And the update /grade nightmare begins.....

Sorry folks I am already starting to pull my hair out & get frustrated

Old 11-21-2015, 03:00 PM

What you may do first is back up your existing system on an external drive from which you will be able to reinstall it in case.

Secondly get Mac OSX Mountain Lion from the Apple store.
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6...-mountain-lion

Then make a clean install of OSX Mountain Lion on your OS drive. That means to put in the disc and completely erase your OS drive
via disk utility still before you start installing Mountain Lion on the drive. By doing this you will install a brand new OSX on a clean and
fresh drive finally. That will be the right stuff to do.

Update OSX Mountain Lion to the max which will be version 10.8.5 finally. Then do all the optimization stuff for Pro Tools.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t.../Optimize-10-8

Now download and install the iLok Manager (it will work with any later Mac OSX than Lion 10.7.).
https://www.ilok.com/#!home

Insert your iLok 2 and do all the license stuff which you could not do with your older OSX.
When your new Pro Tools license will be on your iLok finally download the installer for Pro Tools 10.3.9 and the Air effects and instruments
you want to use from your Avid account and install it all on your system.

Once finished restart your system and repair disk permissions of your OS drive via disk utility.

Finally install the fitting driver for your audio interface and completely shut down your system after it.
Then connect your interface, turn it on, start up your whole system again and you should be good to go.

I would recommend to test drive Pro Tools at this point and, given it will be working as it is supposed to, backup the whole system incl. Pro
Tools etc. on another external drive. So you will have a fresh OSX with a fresh install of Pro Tools you will be able to come back to at any time.

Then you will be ready to install all your 3rd party plugins and VIs. After having finished it all, repair disk permissions of your OS drive one
more time, restart your system one more time and you will be ready to start making music.

Aditionally let me say that a 5400rpm for the OS drive and only 4GB Ram are not the best stuff for a flawlessly working Pro Tools system.
Because it´s still PT10 (32bit) however the 4GB Ram may work and if the 5400rpm would have worked before hopefully it will do further on.

You could replace the OS drive with a SSD and put in 8GB Ram yourself theoretically but as you wrote you are not that experienced with computers
in general it may be too much for you. Nevertheless I will leave you all the links you would need for it.

8GB Ram for your model of Mini.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../8566DDR3S8GP/
SSD for the OS drive (240GB).
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/SSD7E3G240/
The right toolkit
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/TOOLKIT14/

The video tutorials for replacing the OS drive and the memory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g5G4Rl-v1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KaHNLR6Aac

Actually you can do it both at the same time when you will have got your Mini opened.

If the whole replacing action simply will be too much for you just get Mountain Lion from the Apple store, perform a clean install of it, update it to the
max, finish iLok the license stuff and install Pro Tools 10.3.9 on your system like described above.
You will be running the latest version of PT10, 10.3.9 on OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5 which is an officially supported variant of Pro Tools 10 by Avid and
the most current version of it.

The best of success to you.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:47 PM

Follow VRM's advice, it's extremely accurate. Instead of using the Application manager, you can go to your Avid account and manually download the versions of PT's you need. Thats how I always do it.

Before you do anything to your working system it is absolutely imperative that you run Carbon Copy cloner to an external disk. Do a test boot to ensure your clone works! If you think you're pulling your hair out now....just wait if you don't back up your working system.

Take it from us...we've all learned the hard way! Mostly because these types of forums didn't exist when we made the mistakes!
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2018.10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 11-21-2015, 06:58 PM

A big thank you to VRW & Dr_Daw!

Excellent instruction & very helpful!

I will follow your instructions (hopefully) to the letter!
I will update you with my progress!
Thanks again!

TWM