Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2001, 08:09 AM

Default Automation Window hidden features, what are they?

I have a Digi 001 with Pro Tools LE. I was having problems with CPU overloads, so I pop up the Automation Window, which has two meters, one for CPU usage and another for System(?) Usage.
I clicked on one of the two meters (I think to second one but I am not shure and I am not in the studio now)holding one of the three keys (option, command or control, I don't remember)and the window became bigger and some other metering numbers appeared.
Do you know what they mean and how to interpret them?
BTW, what is "System Usage"? Is it about the Digi, the OS, what?

Cheers, ANDRES
Old 07-10-2001, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Automation Window hidden features, what are they?

Heh, that's cool! I love all secret windows and stuff! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] But you know the system usage refers simply to hard disk activity. (Right, Digi?)

Z
Old 07-10-2001, 11:16 AM

Are you using pt 5.0? In 5.1 the automation and system usage are in seperate windows. I couldn't get anything else to come up in 5.1 by clicking on the meters.

dave
Old 07-10-2001, 11:28 AM

Sorry for the vagueness on my instructions, but I am not on my Mac, I will be in the evening.
I am using Pro Tools LE 5.0-something, and in that one you ho to windows->automation [something]. Then you have some buttons in the upper part and two gauges in the lower part. If you click one of them (I think the lower one)while you are holding either control, options or command, that hidden window will appear.
Old 07-11-2001, 08:48 AM
Avid

-The System Usage meter indicates how much of your system's processing power is being used in processing audio, and when writing and playing back automation.

Brent
Old 07-11-2001, 02:31 PM

thanks, Brent. Although I don't get a clear concept of what do you mean by "system". Is it the hardware, the software, both, the OS?
And what are the numbers that appear in the automation window when you click the System Load Gauge with the command key pressed?
It has two sections: DURATION (with Application, Total and Peak) and PERIOD (with min and Max). How do you interpret it?
cheers,
Old 07-11-2001, 08:51 PM

So is "Andrés" the real ass of the world or Argentina? hehe. Just kidding, neighbor. I thought Paraguay was the ass of the world (Soy Paraguayo). Congratulations on winning the Mundial Sub 20, it is beautiful thing to watch Argentina play. In a sense I am glad Paraguay lost so miserably. I hope they had the chance to learn what real soccer is all about. I can't wait to see the Sub20 guys play in the next Worldcup.

Just out of context and to poke a little fun (the ass joke)...

Saludos,

Juergen
PS: Where in Argentina are you?
Old 07-11-2001, 08:56 PM

I have a question regarding the system measurment bar also...

I tried routing a stereo outboard fx unit through the 001, and as soon as I did it, the system gauge went up to 50% or 60%. Is this normal? If so, what happens when I try routing 3 units into the 001?

My CPU Usage was pretty high at the time...perhaps 60% or so...
Old 07-12-2001, 08:16 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Juergen:
So is "Andrés" the real ass of the world or Argentina? hehe. Just kidding, neighbor. I thought Paraguay was the ass of the world (Soy Paraguayo).
Don't be kidding, you are closer to the north and as we all know, the north is the head and the south is the ass. Ok, so you are an ass too, if that makes you happy [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Congratulations on winning the Mundial Sub 20, it is beautiful thing to watch Argentina play. In a sense I am glad Paraguay lost so miserably. I hope they had the chance to learn what real soccer is all about. I can't wait to see the Sub20 guys play in the next Worldcup.
Thanks. Did you play with Brasil already? I hope that you win. BTW, now that we are not going to the América CUP, it seems that everybody in the continent hates us. Colombian terrorists said that the next time we play there they will kick the **** out of us.Hope you guys don't hate us too.
Just out of context and to poke a little fun (the ass joke)...

Saludos,

Juergen
PS: Where in Argentina are you?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Buenos Aires. What kind of music do you make? Are there any good paraguayan rock bands (sorry for my ignorance)
Saludos,chamigo
Old 07-13-2001, 10:35 AM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by apetrocelli:
what do you mean by "system". Is it the hardware, the software, both, the OS?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-As far as I know, it is the total load being put on the CPU from both the software and hardware.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>And what are the numbers that appear in the automation window when you click the System Load Gauge with the command key pressed?
It has two sections: DURATION (with Application, Total and Peak) and PERIOD (with min and Max). How do you interpret it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Unfortunately, I've never seen these windows and do not have a system currently running PT LE 5.0. In addition, these windows are not documented in our manuals...but I'll see what I can find out.

Brent

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: DigiTechSupt ]