Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2017, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Routing Automation - Why Isn't this Done?!

I give the PT programmers the benefit of the doubt in figuring that certain kind of basic things that are missing (especially the ability to have more than one timeline open at once) are still missing because it would be a major deal to change (fix) them. I guess that might be true of greater interop between Avid MC and PT (WITHOUT AAF etc) as well....
Old 08-04-2017, 02:38 PM

I believe routing bussing on a digital console is more like muting every other bus. So not being able to, on the fly, change where a track is going is a DSP saving system. Let's say you have 1 track going to 60 different possible busses. You have to have the DSP for all 60 bussing on all the time to make that track be able to change bus assignments on the fly. If that same track is just going to 1 bus, you are saving 60x the DSP over the bus automation system. This might not be a big deal for a console with a huge chassis that can fit a huge amount of cards into but trying to fit enough chips onto a pcie card to do this is a challenge I'm sure avid can't do at this time.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 08-04-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiograce View Post
My template is similar ... I have the ability to route between 4 dialog reassigns and (2) 5.1 Dx Stems.... all using aux sends and pan follow. This does, however take up a good deal of system resources. I have a similar workaround for pre-post send automation. 1 set of Aux's POST, another (Muted) PRE.

As I said above, there are workarounds, just wish we didn't need them ... routing automation is a staple of post audio.

Peace,
Maybe your still trying to think console mixing within the virtual mix paradigm.
I've never run into a situation where I've needed more than the 2 DX re-assigns when mixing virtual.

Living the dream.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
I believe routing bussing on a digital console is more like muting every other bus. So not being able to, on the fly, change where a track is going is a DSP saving system. Let's say you have 1 track going to 60 different possible busses. You have to have the DSP for all 60 bussing on all the time to make that track be able to change bus assignments on the fly. If that same track is just going to 1 bus, you are saving 60x the DSP over the bus automation system. This might not be a big deal for a console with a huge chassis that can fit a huge amount of cards into but trying to fit enough chips onto a pcie card to do this is a challenge I'm sure avid can't do at this time.
Fairlight can do bus routing automation. And automated Pre/Post switches for sends. I say this not to compare the two because Fairlight of course has it's share of limitations. But they can do this with a single FPGA chip...

I'd still like to see POST Inserts in PT. I think it could easily be implemented as a switch for the second bank of inserts. I rarely use that bank, but it would be nice to have the option for post fader there. In addition to the features mentioned above.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:02 PM

I admit I haven't read thru the whole thread, and I'm shure most of you pros know this: output assignment of tracks can be multiple. Cntrl-click (mac) to add output assignment. I think many, like me for many years, are not aware of this.

My point is: you could always route stuff multiple places, then use mute automation. A workaround, of course.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Maybe your still trying to think console mixing within the virtual mix paradigm.
I've never run into a situation where I've needed more than the 2 DX re-assigns when mixing virtual.
No ...
Haven't really thought in terms of any particular paradigm in quite some time. Really, I'm a guy who understands signal flow and wants to find the best possible way to finish my mix and keep my clients happy.

I use two reassigns in much the same way that you do. My third reassign is a FUTZ reassign.... and the fourth is a utility player ... sometimes it's an additional futz bus (for A/B Futs splits) and sometimes it for reassigning foreign languages (to keep our M&E people happy) and sometimes it for odd jobs like panning processed dialog differently.

My goal is to be as flexible and as efficient as possible. I'm able to do everything I want to within ProTools right now ... all via workarounds. I just would like to see Avid take the needs of the post community seriously and implement features the pro market needs so we don't need workarounds to accomplish these goals.

BTW Mark ... you still owe me lunch!

Peace,
Old 08-09-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiograce View Post
Hey all...

Long time user, (Former Digi employee)...

Quick question:
Why isn't everyone in the post community making noise about the single biggest omission in Pro Tools mixing for the post community?

Routing and Pre/Post fader switch automation are important parts of everyday post mixing ... I'm aware that there are work arounds, but work arounds do not a complete toolset make.

Am I the only one who thinks this way? Looking forward to your ideas.
Pre/Post send switch automation is my biggest pet peeve! Also automated Pre/Post fader for inserts.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cole View Post
Pre/Post send switch automation is my biggest pet peeve! Also automated Pre/Post fader for inserts.
Agreed Peter...
My work around is to duplicate my sends. One being POST and the other PRE. I then mute between them. It's a pain, but it works.

Same with routing automation. And I hate having to use up valuable sends to do what the console should already do.

Anyway... hope all is well with you Peter. Devastated about Ed Greene.

Best always,
Old 08-15-2017, 07:27 AM

Everything Frank said...

And for the record: http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/117333
Old 08-27-2017, 02:03 PM

I may be old school in saying that I too miss automated routing in PT. DFCs have it, my System5s have it, and yes, Nuendo also had it (called direct routing, where you have 8 slots that can be filled with destination groups, busses, or FX, and then automated).
For the moment I use sends, for lack of a more elegant solution, but as I usually have a minimum of 4 (sometimes up to 6 or 8) reassign Busses for Dx, it can get a bit cramped...
So here is hoping that PT gets that eventually.

Sent from my Galaxy S7

The studio FB page