Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-02-2020, 08:40 PM

Default Fresh PC Build - What do do in BIOS (for Pro Tools) once windows is installed

So, still waiting on my case but it should be here within the next day or 2 meaning my system should be built by Wednesday.

I've been watching a lot of videos and I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of assembling the actual PC now; but It's time to start considering what I should be doing after.

So...assuming everything powers up fine this will be my rough plan of what to do next, please correct me or give feedback if I'm mistaken. Keep in mind I'm coming from Mac and have NEVER worked in BIOS/UEFI before.
Also please correct the order of these steps if I'm mistaken.

1. Everything boots up to Bios, Windows Media thumb drive is plugged in.
2. Don't touch anything in BIOS yet, Perform a clean install of windows
3. Check for updates, update windows and all applicable updates it suggests
4. Get up to date drivers for all of my PC components
5. Reboot back to BIOS and do all of BIOS tweaking, this is where I need help. What specifically in Gigabyte BIOS should I be changing from Default?
6. Once Bios is set up, Install Pro Tools 2020
7. Connect my Audio Interface/Midi Keyboard/Adam A7X/Subpac and download all new drivers for each.
8. Optimize Windows For Pro Tools based on Avids Reccomendations
9. Install all of my AAX Plugins
10. Done?
Old 08-02-2020, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Fresh PC Build - What do do in BIOS (for Pro Tools) once windows is installed

The Pro Tools systems optimization steps have the key BIOS settings documented in them, c-state etc.

Disabling hypethreading settings is something you play with if needed.

You may be making stuff more complex than needed. Install Windows. Install systems drivers needed (do yourself for critical components, don't let Windows screw that for you, including your interface drivers). Install Pro Tools. Fully optimize the system. And test stuff works. If it does then install plugins and test as you go. Then other apps...
Old 08-02-2020, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Fresh PC Build - What do do in BIOS (for Pro Tools) once windows is installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The Pro Tools systems optimization steps have the key BIOS settings documented in them, c-state etc.

Disabling hypethreading settings is something you play with if needed.

You may be making stuff more complex than needed. Install Windows. Install systems drivers needed (do yourself for critical components, don't let Windows screw that for you, including your interface drivers). Install Pro Tools. Fully optimize the system. And test stuff works. If it does then install plugins and test as you go. Then other apps...
At which point should I connect my system to the internet? Ive heard if its connected when windows is installed it may automatically download drivers I dont want? If thats the case, do I need to remove old drivers before installing new drivers or can I just install new drivers like the old ones arent there?

And yes, Im sure im making things more complicated haha. Waiting on the mail and all I can do is sit here and overthink.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
At which point should I connect my system to the internet? Ive heard if its connected when windows is installed it may automatically download drivers I dont want? If thats the case, do I need to remove old drivers before installing new drivers or can I just install new drivers like the old ones arent there?

And yes, Im sure im making things more complicated haha. Waiting on the mail and all I can do is sit here and overthink.
Asking questions, is great, and this is a good one, but you are now solidly in standard Windows territory and your question will be answered by a Google search.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:29 AM

Take boot drive images as you move along. Acronis or Macrium Reflect are popular choices. Keep notes of what gets changed between images. Also, Gigabyte has a method to backup all your Bios settings. Take your time and you'll be fine.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-03-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
... 5. Reboot back to BIOS and do all of BIOS tweaking, this is where I need help. What specifically in Gigabyte BIOS should I be changing from Default?...
Study the Gigabyte docs. Have you done a search for your specific motherboard BIOS settings? Check the ram speed settings in BIOS. Most other BIOS tweaks relate to CPU overclocking. Don't overclock. Get everything stable first, then perhaps later you can consider a gentle overclock.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-03-2020, 10:08 AM

Turn off C-State and Turbo Boost, those are the two for sure. Wireless and Bluetooth at first, you can try with one or both on once Pro Tools runs stable. You should be able to use XMP for your RAM. And you can also enable/disable Hyperthreading as Darryl suggested to see which is better for Pro Tools. Myself and others have also found it beneficial to set Processor Affinity for Pro Tools.

Once you've got the BIOS where you want it, copy the settings to a USB stick and other places.

As mentioned, image backups are a must. Personally I use Macrium Reflect and image nightly.

You can find more optimizations here.

Welcome to the ability to tinker.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction