Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 07-07-2020, 02:57 AM

Default Upgrading

Hi there.
I'm new to the forum so please be gentle and thanks in advance!
I run Protools 9LE with the Digidesign 003. I'm having to downsize my studio set up to a physically smaller space, and don't have room for the 003. In the first place, I was set up with it by a techie friend who thought that because I'm old (correct!) I would like a interface with faders (incorrect!) so I will be much happier anyway with an interface with a smaller footprint.

I currently have:
iMac OS X Version 10.6.8
Protools 9 LE
003 Digi Design interface
Audient Asp 008 Pre-amp
Hearback Monitor system

My question is, can I buy a new interface and continue to use it with my 9LE, or given that I bought them together, is my software too integrated with the 003? Or would it work providing I buy an Avid based new interface? Or could I buy any interface and expect it to work with my 9LE / expect my 9LE to still work without the 003? At some point, I'm sure I'll update my OS and upgrade my Protools to a newer version, which I'm sure will then increase my interface options, but for now, I guess I'm asking, what's the least disruptive way I can add an interface with a smaller footprint to my existing set up?

If the answer is "don't do any of that... do this instead", then I'm all ears.
Ultimately I'm nervous about making a wrong move and causing myself disruption because I have a deadline coming up for music to a BBC programme. I say that not to boast, bu to illustrate that I'm relatively successful and professional from an artistic perspective, but believe me, a total luddite on the technical front!! Many thanks.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Upgrading

New interfaces may not work with your current iMac and OSX. What exact iMac do you have? With that we can maybe give you better answers.

QAPLA!
Old 07-07-2020, 04:40 AM

Hi, welcome to the community.

Compatibility info here
Old 07-07-2020, 05:44 AM

as already asked... what exact model iMac, date name, model number and/or EMC number off the back of it please.

What inputs/capabilities do you need on the interface? how many mic preamps, line inputs? Do you need S/PDIF, AES/EBU or ADAT digital inputs or outputs? ... now your Audient preamp has ADAT out... are you using that via ADAT now into the 003. ADAT in increases the price point of interfaces but if you need that many mic inputs then a nice way to go... if you don't and want to save space you might replace the 003 and Audient with an interface with enough preamp (or line inputs) to meet your needs... which are?

how much space do you really need to save? if you have minimal input needs you can get down to quite small interfaces.

What are you doing with it?

What is your budget?

And with this age system you might look for a used interface... from an interface vendor with good ongoing support (i.e. not Avid).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-07-2020 at 05:55 AM.