Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 07-28-2020, 02:31 AM

Default With SSDs becoming mainstream can pro tools now be on the main OS boot drive?

No, I wasn’t looking for the difference between flash and spinners. I was just mentioning that the boot drive should be separate from your session drives. Tbw is a big number pe is about 50 to 10000. Do the math. You need to look at the precise number, not the whole drive. The precise number is usually where it fails. There’s your hammer on the head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2020, 02:36 AM

Default Re: With SSDs becoming mainstream can pro tools now be on the main OS boot drive?

SSD is not targetting certain cell that may fail, that is why geeks have another measure for failures as they cannot assume which cell is being written.

Most of OS drive activity are reads, not writes. That will not wear SSD out too soon. Session drive may actually wear down more quickly, because of amounts of writes. Even then we just cannot know, because the drive is intelligent enough to write wherever it has available cell, compared to writing where the write head is on the spinner.

I have been using SSD's for over a decade already on multiple systems and only have had one failing drive. Didn't cry over that 10 year old sucker as the drives are constantly swapped to new higher capacity ones.

What I am worried though, is if Apple is soldering more and more stuff to the motherboard. Cheap computers lose longevity, but then again after 3-5-7-9 years of good use you can buy another cheap one.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:19 AM

Default With SSDs becoming mainstream can pro tools now be on the main OS boot drive?

You’re absolutely right. But what you gain in functionality, you lose in compatibility. You’d have to use apfs which is uncompatible with older oses. The question lies. Did you use those drives with the os and audio on the same drive. There’s no telling if apfs is redundant. However, who knows what lies for the future.

Last edited by spinsong; 07-28-2020 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:21 AM

Default Re: With SSDs becoming mainstream can pro tools now be on the main OS boot drive?

Well the conversation changes its course just like that

I have no interest in systems that do not have APFS, except those few that I have cemented to whatever is latest and greatest for HD3 and MIX3

If you are so interested and invested in SSD you should really be using APFS a.k.a. High Sierra or later
Old 07-28-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
No, I wasn’t looking for the difference between flash and spinners. I was just mentioning that the boot drive should be separate from your session drives. Tbw is a big number pe is about 50 to 10000. Do the math. You need to look at the precise number, not the whole drive. The precise number is usually where it fails. There’s your hammer on the head.

First PE is not near 50 for the drives in question. The large part of all the smarts in a SSD is to manage the cell wear. Are you an engineer designing an SSD (And how it’s over provisioning, write cache, garbage collection, etc work...)? If so then you can worry about P/E. That TBW is a big number is what matters, that tells you as a user a good estimate of what life to expect.

All this is silliness. Folks here have been using SSDs for many years. Combining boot and session drives for years... Some in serious studios (especially with the Mac Pro Trashcan) and all the screaming complaints about failing drives caused by that are where? .... The last three MacBook Pro I have owned the boot SSDs outlived the useful life of the computer and the boot drive got more drive abuse from development and other work than DAW.

APFS redundant? APFS is optimized for SSD, but *redundant* ? huh? Do you think an SSD relies on the filesystem for protection against data loss from cell wear? That stuff is all handled internally or an SSD would not work at all.

And all this devolved from a user asking a question about a Windows PC with removable M.2 drive in the first place. So just really not useful to them as advice.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:14 AM

I myself want to drop out of this conversation, just sayin' Darryl knows what he is talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2020, 11:33 AM

Redundancy was something that could be introduced in the future. Something I would probably hold the patent.