Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2020, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Windows 10 Home or Pro

Take all the stress out of it, spend the money, and get in touch with www.pro-tools-pc.com. They unequivocally guarantee their computers will work with Pro Tools because they only build computers to run Pro Tools, nothing else.

Yes, it's more money, but it's premium parts and the computer is optimized for Pro Tools. Did I mention they absolutely guarantee the computer will run Pro Tools?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-03-2020, 09:41 AM

The other thing going forward that will be interesting is how Apple going to ARM is going to affect the number of Pro Tools users on Windows. Avid will probably take a while to qualify a version of Pro Tools for ARM and older versions of Pro Tools won't work on a new Mac with an ARM CPU. For that matter, older versions of Pro Tools either have issues or won't work with newer versions of OS X. On Windows at least, there is backwards compatibility for older software, even 32 bit software, including a compatibility "Wizard" with settings back to Windows XP. I'm running an MS program they stopped supporting in 2004 and it still works fine, just won't recognize my scanner.
SonoBus
Old 07-03-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
... On Windows at least, there is backwards compatibility for older software, even 32 bit software, ...
+1
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 07-04-2020, 09:07 AM

With Apple moving to ARM, they will do away with Bootcamp and, I'll have to assume, no more Hackintoshes will be possible, although the Hacks don't use Bootcamp.

And while (some) programs that run on Intel can/will run emulated, how effective will that be? Going to be somethings left behind, like Motorola to Intel. Apple isn't well known for any concern about backwards compatibility - or necessarily third party providers. Some developers are getting ARM computers.

I also wonder how much will they blend OS X and iOS over time?

The walls of the walled garden are going to be higher and stronger.
SonoBus