Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2023, 08:35 PM

Default Avid MBOX Studio, Yamaha EAD10 & 2 Overhead Mics

So, here is how I connect these two devices for two way input and output.

From MBOX to EAD10 …

MBOX Optical Out > DAC > EAD10 AUX

- Using an Optical Cable from MBOX to DAC.
- Using Dual RCA to 3.5mm Cable from DAC to EAD10.

———————————-

From EAD10 to MBOX …

EAD10 L/R 1/4” Output > MBOX Line In 5 & 6

- Using (2) 1/4” Male TRS to 1/4” Male TRS Cables

———————————-

Overhead Mics …

Shure SM58 and Audio-Technical AT2020 to MBOX …

SM58 to MBOX Combo Jack 3
AT2020 to MBOX Combo Jack 4

- Using (2) XLR to XLR Cables

———————————-

Playing music from PC to monitors and headphones works fine.

Playing drums through EAD10 and Overhead Mics produces nothing through monitors or headphones.

Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong?

Thank you!

Computer: Dell Inspiron 3020
Audio Interface: Avid MBOX Studio
DAW: Avid Pro Tools 2023
Electronic Acoustic Drum Module: Yamaha EAD10
Mics: Shure SM58, Audio-Technica AT2020
Monitors: Tannoy Reveal 501a
IEM: Xvive U4T9 Wireless IEM System
Mixing Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
Drums: 7 Piece Tama Superstar Classic Kit
Cymbals: Sabian HHX Complex
Drums: 4 Piece Tama Club-Jam Suitcase Kit
Cymbals: Sabian Pro
Old 08-16-2023, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Avid MBOX Studio, Yamaha EAD10 & 2 Overhead Mics

You've managed to spam DUC with multiple threads recently asking questions about this same setup. Why could you not follow at least the spirit of the DUC terms of use and keep all this stuff in one thread. Not doing so potentially wastes other users time here trying to understand what you are doing or going over the same stuff already covered in other threads.

---

And now to this post. Where exactly are the headphones and monitors connected? I'm hoping the MBox main outputs. You say "playing music from pc" From Pro Tools?

But more importantly just break stuff down to the most simplest levels as you troubleshoot stuff yourself. Disconnect the EAD10 entirely for now. Get the overheads working into the MBOX and make sure you understand how to setup and use that and then add back the EAD10. Heck make it as absolutely as simple as possible to start with, KISS, get one overhead mic working, in one test session with one audio track you are recording to.

Are you trying to hardware or software monitor while recording? If software monitoring you have to make sure Pro Tools LLM (low latency monitoring) is not enabled. LLM basically disables software monitoring through Pro Tools and assumes you are using hardware monitoring. If you don't understand this you need to read the Mbox documentation, and spend a few hours playing with hardware monitoring, if only to make sure you know what it can do and how to disable it.

When you can't hear monitoring during tracking do the track meters move but you just can't hear anything... and is signal on the tracks that plays back later OK... then it's simply a monitoring problem.

If the monitoring *and* recorded signal is super low or does not exist at all: are the mic preamp gains turned up? Are those overhead mic tracks inputs record armed? tracks the correct type (mono audio, *not* instrument tracks)? Mic cables correctly wired? Mics known to work OK, etc. etc.

And make sure your overhead mic tracks are in pre-fader metering while recording.

Especially if intending to use hardware monitoring (and you may well prefer that as a drummer) then with Pro Tools *not* running spend a few hours or more working out how to use hardware monitoring in the MBox so you can get a good monitor mix of your overheads and be very confident you understand all this totally independent of Pro Tools. That also lets you check cables, mics, preamp gains etc. all independent of needing Pro Tools running.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-16-2023 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You've managed to spam DUC with multiple threads recently asking questions about this same setup. Why could you not follow at least the spirit of the DUC terms of use and keep all this stuff in one thread. Not doing so potentially wastes other users time here trying to understand what you are doing or going over the same stuff already covered in other threads.

---

And now to this post. Where exactly are the headphones and monitors connected? I'm hoping the MBox main outputs. You say "playing music from pc" From Pro Tools?

But more importantly just break stuff down to the most simplest levels as you troubleshoot stuff yourself. Disconnect the EAD10 entirely for now. Get the overheads working into the MBOX and make sure you understand how to setup and use that and then add back the EAD10. Heck make it as absolutely as simple as possible to start with, KISS, get one overhead mic working, in one test session with one audio track you are recording to.

Are you trying to hardware or software monitor while recording? If software monitoring you have to make sure Pro Tools LLM (low latency monitoring) is not enabled. LLM basically disables software monitoring through Pro Tools and assumes you are using hardware monitoring. If you don't understand this you need to read the Mbox documentation, and spend a few hours playing with hardware monitoring, if only to make sure you know what it can do and how to disable it.

When you can't hear monitoring during tracking do the track meters move but you just can't hear anything... and is signal on the tracks that plays back later OK... then it's simply a monitoring problem.

If the monitoring *and* recorded signal is super low or does not exist at all: are the mic preamp gains turned up? Are those overhead mic tracks inputs record armed? tracks the correct type (mono audio, *not* instrument tracks)? Mic cables correctly wired? Mics known to work OK, etc. etc.

And make sure your overhead mic tracks are in pre-fader metering while recording.

Especially if intending to use hardware monitoring (and you may well prefer that as a drummer) then with Pro Tools *not* running spend a few hours or more working out how to use hardware monitoring in the MBox so you can get a good monitor mix of your overheads and be very confident you understand all this totally independent of Pro Tools. That also lets you check cables, mics, preamp gains etc. all independent of needing Pro Tools running.
Well, since no one else is posting here it looks like I am spamming, but in reality I’m doing exactly what you suggested. One thing at a time. Im making each connection one at a time, purchasing the necessary cables from Sweetwater one or two at a time. Then resting and moving on. I’m also learning, so that should count for something. I appreciate the response, but my intention
is not to annoy or trouble anyone. You are welcome to ignore me if so desired. I’m just seeking help.

—-

And now for your response …

The monitors are connected to the Monitor Main and Alt Outputs on the back of the MBOX and work fine. The headphones are connected to the two from headphone jacks in the front. One passes through a Schiit Magni+ Amp because my Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro headphones are 250 ohms. Both headphones work fine. None of this is done through Pro Tools, just the MBOX Control Software.

Not having mentioned using using Pro Tools, and troubleshooting to that is unnecessary at this point. And I am not recording at all yet, just connecting a testing playback.

So far I was able to see sound on the MBOX and MBOX Control, but hear no output on the monitors or headphones. Yet I hear music through them nicely through my computer or even a Bluetooth connected phone.

I’m not sure if I have a bad cable (they’re all new), is misconfiguration. But something is off.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old 08-17-2023, 09:02 AM

OK. So if you are doing all in hardware monitoring, the problem there will be simply you do have a monitoring mix set up. You hear the computer playback because by default that playback/DAW return path through the mixer is enabled, There is likely no default path for mic/line inputs to the outputs. You need to create those mix paths. Open up the documentation and read while playing with this in a simple as possible one mic setup speaking into the mic while wearing headphones. I mentioned hours... I was serious, you should spend hours just playing with the hardware mixer, getting familiar with everything it can do. If after that you are stuck, describe what is not working as expected and post screenshots of the mixer windows (post on a photo or file sharing site and post the links here--DUC down scales images so much they are useless so don't post them directly here).
Old 08-17-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
OK. So if you are doing all in hardware monitoring, the problem there will be simply you do have a monitoring mix set up. You hear the computer playback because by default that playback/DAW return path through the mixer is enabled, There is likely no default path for mic/line inputs to the outputs. You need to create those mix paths. Open up the documentation and read while playing with this in a simple as possible one mic setup speaking into the mic while wearing headphones. I mentioned hours... I was serious, you should spend hours just playing with the hardware mixer, getting familiar with everything it can do. If after that you are stuck, describe what is not working as expected and post screenshots of the mixer windows (post on a photo or file sharing site and post the links here--DUC down scales images so much they are useless so don't post them directly here).
Thank you. Yes, I’m not spending hour, I’m spending days, on documentation, videos, I’ve even purchased 2 Pro tools books getting Rm ready for that once my hardware is set, functioning and I have a good grasp of it’s capability. I know I’m leveraging most of its capability, so taking my time and not pressuring myself. When I get stuck and feel like experts who have experienced this would have a quick solution or advice on where to start, I ask. That’s what communities are intended for. One day o will help others in my current state.

Thanks again, I will try you suggestions.

Old 08-17-2023, 10:27 AM

Tony,

The Mbox Studio comes with the Studio Control software. This software is essentially a router and mixer for the Mbox. Enabling you to take any input signal and route it to any output. You’re going to need to spend some time in this software understanding signal flow and how to route signal like Darryl mentioned.

There are plenty of YouTube videos out there and even some intro videos on Avid’s own website. Take some time to looks them over and get a thorough understanding of the Control software. This is going to be the hub of your Mbox Studio.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ntrol-Overview
Old 08-17-2023, 10:35 AM

Thanks. Apparently this is not as simple an answer as expected. Thought I’d get a couple of how tool’s. Thanks for the link. Guess I’ll take it from here and research online and elsewhere.

Old 08-17-2023, 10:38 AM

Default Avid MBOX Studio, Yamaha EAD10 & 2 Overhead Mics

The answer could be any number of things and there’s no way for anyone to know here or in any other forum how your software and routing is setup.

I think what would benefit you the most is to have someone personally walk you through, step by step, of the software and hardware since this is all new for you.

If you want specific answers here, my suggestion would be to post as many videos and pics of your issues and go from there. You’re working with complex hardware and software combined. The problems can lie anywhere in between these two elements.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:16 AM

The "how to" is you need to add the missing route in the mixer setup. I at least don't have (or at the moment don't want) enough extra info to tell you exactly what button to push or GUI fader to move.

You don't seem to understand this mixer, which is a perfectly standard new user experience. And because you really don't understand it you also don't know what other questions to ask or what the next problem will be, and there will be several. You will make much better progress and have less stress overall by instead of looking for a quick fix you dive in and learn the mixer control software. Like really read and study and work to learn it. This is a common challenge for folks with interfaces with complex mixer/monitor support, even quite experienced DAW users (and experienced DAW users can get especially confused because they can't separate the hardware mixer and DAW in their minds). Again KISS, disconnect everything you don't need and start with one mic and one pair of headphone and follow the documentation or tutorials and get that mic working. If you need help at least ask for it with that super-simplified setup with all the gear you have here.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM

Will do. Thank you.