Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2023, 08:01 AM

Default Loopback issue

I find it very difficult to get the hold of the loopback function. I have enabled the loopback in MBox Control, but how do I get it into my DAW? I have tried all inputs, but nothing gets recorded.

The manual is very badly made on more occasions. For instance in this situation. Something I really don't understand. I can basically not get more knowledge out of the manual than what's being informed in the Loopback Assignment box in MBox Control. That doesn't inform you, what you have to do. By the information as is I just have to lean back and relax, while it's routed to inputs ADAT 7/8. Sure thing. Nothing gets routed to input 7/8 though.

So how do I get the signal from my computer, that comes in at Internal 1/2 to the ADAT 7/8 input? With my RME it's pretty easy and I thought that this would be similar.

All I see now is that audio from my computer (Internal 1/2) is routed to Hardware Output ADAT 7/8.

I'm pretty lost here.
Old 08-26-2023, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Loopback issue

So if you are running your MBox Studio at 48K, when you enable the loopback function in MBox control, it will route anything coming in on input 7/8 through the MBox mixer and on through to the DAW. Two things need to happen first though. Audio output from your computer or another app need to be set to the MBox input 7/8. Next, make sure the level fader for software input 7/8 is turned up in MBox control. Now assign the input source of your DAW track to input 7/8 and you should hear the audio the is being fed into the loopback inputs.

System Details
Old 08-31-2023, 09:31 PM

Thanx for answering. I did write a response right after yours, but it's not here. That's weird

I'm running 48K. The thing is that audio output from the computer is automatically set to 1/2. I guess that is normal. Is that routable? I didn't know that. How? The manual is really basic.

I really don't know how Avid gets away with having such a basic manual and no one raises an eyebrow on how it's not really usable for other the basic connection stuff. Okay....it's not a bash-Avid post though. I'm just really surprised at the low level of support, I guess, being a former RME costumer, where everything was carefully explained and in case of a problem, the CEO even answered questions in their forum. This is....let's just say....a little bit different.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
So if you are running your MBox Studio at 48K, when you enable the loopback function in MBox control, it will route anything coming in on input 7/8 through the MBox mixer and on through to the DAW. Two things need to happen first though. Audio output from your computer or another app need to be set to the MBox input 7/8. Next, make sure the level fader for software input 7/8 is turned up in MBox control. Now assign the input source of your DAW track to input 7/8 and you should hear the audio the is being fed into the loopback inputs.
I don't know why I keep replying to your response and it never appears in the thread. That's really weird. It's my second posted response to you and still nothing happens. Weird.

I'm running 48K. The thing is that computer audio output is automatically routed to 1/2. I guess that is normal. Can that be routed to 7/8? I didn't know that. How?
Old 09-01-2023, 12:31 AM

Low post count sometimes directs posts to manual approval.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_ryan View Post

I'm running 48K. The thing is that computer audio output is automatically routed to 1/2. I guess that is normal. Can that be routed to 7/8? I didn't know that. How?
IIRC, enable Loopback and Windows audio should appear on either 7&8 or on ADAT 7&8(I'd check but my rig is torn down at the moment, sorry). Loopback is enabled in the utility window where you choose sample rate, etc(the little "gear" symbol in the upper right of Mbox Control)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-01-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
IIRC, enable Loopback and Windows audio should appear on either 7&8 or on ADAT 7&8(I'd check but my rig is torn down at the moment, sorry). Loopback is enabled in the utility window where you choose sample rate, etc(the little "gear" symbol in the upper right of Mbox Control)
I use a MacBook Air M1, but the procedure should be the same though. I have done this many times. That's why I ask for help Absolutely nothing happens on 7/8. I also write this in the original post. I enable "loopback" and nothing gets routed to input 7/8. What do I have to do, when pressing that "loopback enable" button? Because nothing gets automatically routed to input 7/8. I find it very weird, that it is this hard to sort out.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:44 AM

When you say 7/8, are you referring to analog 7/8 or digital(ADAT) 7/8? Check both as digital(ADAT) is where I think it shows up. In any case, I did have it working so I'm sure it can. And you may also need to fuss with Windows Sound settings to get the proper path to tie it all together. I'm really sorry my rig is down as I would just fire it up and grab screen shots, but I just can't at the moment

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-03-2023, 05:04 PM

Kind of agree. Wish I could find a good primer on appropriate MBox routing. Every time I get something right, I get something wrong.

Computer: Dell Inspiron 3020
Audio Interface: Avid MBOX Studio
DAW: Avid Pro Tools 2023
Electronic Acoustic Drum Module: Yamaha EAD10
Mics: Shure SM58, Audio-Technica AT2020
Monitors: Tannoy Reveal 501a
IEM: Xvive U4T9 Wireless IEM System
Mixing Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
Drums: 7 Piece Tama Superstar Classic Kit
Cymbals: Sabian HHX Complex
Drums: 4 Piece Tama Club-Jam Suitcase Kit
Cymbals: Sabian Pro
Old 09-17-2023, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
When you say 7/8, are you referring to analog 7/8 or digital(ADAT) 7/8? Check both as digital(ADAT) is where I think it shows up. In any case, I did have it working so I'm sure it can. And you may also need to fuss with Windows Sound settings to get the proper path to tie it all together. I'm really sorry my rig is down as I would just fire it up and grab screen shots, but I just can't at the moment
When I say 7/8, I mean that I have tried 7/8 on all sections. I see nothing on ANY 7/8 in Box Control. I have raised the level on all 7/8 in Xbox Control. There is no sound coming to these channels whatsoever.

I have two issues with the Xbox Studio and right now, I wish I never bought it and it has killed my desire to play and record music. I'm a student, so I cannot just buy another unit. I'm kinda stuck with this and the two issues, I have are draining my motivation. This issue and an overload issue...which only appears on the Xbox Control and not in my DAW or on the Xbox Studio itself. It doesn't seem like a quality product. Right now at least. I hope it changes though as it has the potential to be great. If it works as it should.