Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Default Help with PT file system

Hi
Well, ong story short.
We are a band that jams once a week. Using PT-M-Powered, XP and a M-Audio Projectmix.
Here is the my big problem.

I record every song we play, for saving time I just mark all tracks and erase it after a song and playing next song on the same session, then saving after each song with different name. This has been done like that for several years.
So in the last recorded song I now have audio files from 2007 and it’s a realy mess, I cant delete any files because the can belong to a song that we recorded in 2007 I guess?
And yes I now, I’m an idiot!
My question, is it a way to save a session (song) only saving the tracks (audio files) that I can see in my PT and not saving all the [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] from years before?
If that is possible I can go thru all the songs and save them and delete the rest when I’m finish.

D
Old 02-11-2010, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Help with PT file system

After backing up you entire drive "just in case," Do a "save session copy" and include audio files. Do this on the sessions you want to keep and name then uniquely. This will bring the files into the audio folder for the song. Then you may delete the unneeded/unused sessions and files.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 PM

In the Regions list, go to Select>, Unused>.
This highlights all the regions (MIDI and Audio) that are not being used in the current session.
Then, in the Regions list again, go to Clear>, then click on Remove - NOT Delete, as Delete permenantly deletes the files from your hard drive.

Not sure if this relates to your problem, but I hope it helps.

EDIT> do this after you've done Tom's advice.

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 PM

After you have totally ignored the part about backing up your drive, please don’t forget… I told you so.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Thanks guys
Sounds good, I just need to study the region list, I never used that before.

Well I have about 1500 sessions I need to go thru so I have a lot of work to do.
I guess I will need a second hard drive also since I only have about 5 GB avalible and this operation will take up some space I guess?

Thanks again.

D
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76daz View Post
Well I have about 1500 sessions I need to go thru so I have a lot of work to do.
- yes, you do !

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:

D
1500!!! You should cancel the weekend BBQ then.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-12-2010, 12:21 PM

Ok,, Struggling again, Eh I cant find the regions list??

If idiots don’t now how to operate PT is it possible to record without regions?

D
Old 02-12-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Ok,, Struggling again, Eh I cant find the regions list??

If idiots don’t now how to operate PT is it possible to record without regions?

D
Basically, a region is each one of those waveforms you see. So if you record 1 track all the way through without punch in/out then you have 1 region. If you punch in and out then that will make another region....you follow? If you have three separate recordings on 1 track then that is three regions. If you record 16 tracks all the way through without splitting or separating them then you should have 16 regions, 1 for each track. Make sense? The regions list just makes it confusing for people who never worked this way in another daw. But yea, that pretty much sums it up.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:46 PM

oh, and if you're looking for the regions list, just click the little down arrow (i think, i'm not looking at it right now) on the far right. It should have a menu that says extended transport, midi controls, regions list, etc.... click on regions list to open it.