Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2002, 06:09 PM

Default modern tone modules seem to be stuck in the dark ages.

There's quite a few tone modules from novation and access inparticular that sound fantasic to me.

The all use phsysical modelling and admittedly an SP/DIF / ADAT board is available for some of the Novation products.

It just seems stupid to make products that are 100% digital but sound like very clean analogue (in the synthesis sense), then don't even have any digitial I/O.

I'd love a virus rack if it had SD/DIF and ADAT. It sounds great, I could leave my analogue inputs free to play my mac through while hooking up the synth through the SD/DIF.

later on I could get a Digi001 and then actually process AUX sends through the unit.

Except I can't and I never will be able to because even when I do get a Digi001, I'll be limited to Korg and Novation stuff if I want to keep everything digital. The Digi001 does have those extra inputs though.

Is anyone using any of the Access or Novation synths with protools as both a synth and filter effect ?

It seems to me that even after a few years, the Korg OASYS still looks like my best option as a future add on to my setup. Plenty of things sound as good, even sound better but for the most part they just don't have specs & I/O options to match.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:32 PM

Default Re: modern tone modules seem to be stuck in the dark ages.

Quote:
Korg OASYS still looks like my best option as a future add on to my setup. Plenty of things sound as good, even sound better but for the most part they just don't have specs & I/O options to match
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So what are you waiting for? Go get an OASYS and never will you regret it !!!!
Old 05-30-2002, 07:41 AM

haha, as if he can find one.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:36 AM

just saw one on the OASYS group, they are out there...
Old 05-30-2002, 03:25 PM

they are always on ebay - generally go for about $400. You can not beat that deal for the quality of the Oasys. They are awesome!
Old 05-31-2002, 10:21 AM

I was kind of thinking the OASYS is not just my only option but the best one too.

I've tried the OASYS editor, it seems like I'd need to create a new oasys mixer setup for each tune I'd make with it in protools. How easy is it to integrate with protools ?

Can you just have the combined stereo output from the OASYS going through the SP/DIF on an AMIII card and then just choose the patches you want on each midi channel from within protools. Basically making it behave like a multitimbral tone module with all the patchnames in an OMS document ?

It also seems from playing with the OASYS editor, you can only have 12 mixer channels, doesn't that mean I'd only be able to route 12 synth outputs through the SP/DIF ?

I'd be looking at running the audio output from the synth tracks on the OASYS card into the SP/DIF on the AM III.

For Fx returns I'd want to be running the SP/DIF output of the AM III to the SP/DIF input on the OASYS, returning the signal back to Protools through the main analogue outputs on the OASYS into the analogue inputs on my AM III card. That way, I could still monitor through my AMIII outputs like I do now.

I could definately get one for my birthday (around mid august ) if I could save enough by them to put towards it.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:08 PM

I can't fully answer your question cuz I'm not a big synth/midi guy, but I will tell you if you want to use the Oasys priamrily as a synth you might be disappointed, because the synth patches take up a large amount of DSP, so you might only be able to run 3 to 5 synth patches at one time before all the cards memory is maxxed. If you use it only for effects you won;t have this problem, however.