Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-10-1999, 04:28 AM

Default How will the 001 enhance my performance?

Hi. I use the mac for doing music, and I don't have any extra hardware but a midi interface.
If I get a Digi 001, what are the advantages?
For what I understand I'll get: a) better quality and b) more than 2 tracks at a time. Is that right?
Does it help to record smoother, I mean without the buffer overruns/too many tracks and effects that I always get with just the mac hardware?
Cheers, ANDRES
Old 11-10-1999, 07:33 AM
Avid

Default Re: How will the 001 enhance my performance?

Hey cordura--

There are several significant advantages to working with 001 over using the Mac's sound inputs. Here are some of the big ones:

* MUCH better sound quality. Even though the Mac sound inputs claim to be "CD quality," in reality they are noisy and lack clarity and low end. The inputs on the 001 are all high-quality 24-bit, you will notice a HUGE difference immediately.

* You will be able to record 18 inputs at once instead of only 2, and you will have more flexibility in the types of inputs.

* You will be able to use Pro Tools 5.0 software, which is considered by many to be the most powerful, and easiest to use software for audio and MIDI.

The performance in terms of track count, number of effects, etc. depends on the power of your computer. However, Pro Tools software is very efficient at harnessing the power of the CPU, so I suspect you will get better performance just by using Pro Tools software.

What kind of computer do you have now and what software are you using?

Ted
Old 11-10-1999, 08:50 AM

I have a Mac 7300/180, with 80mb of ram. And I am using Digital Performer. It has the advantage of real-time effects, does PT 5 have that?
One big drawback is that I get many errors from the Motu Audio System, which stops recordings in the middle of a song. It could be the software, but the machine also. I have a Barracuda HD.
Regards, ANDRES
Old 11-11-1999, 02:03 AM

I'm not a tech guy, but I would seriously suspect your 80megs of ram as a reason your system stops working during a song.

Up until recently I only had 64megs of ram and I couldn't even get Dig Perf to run sometimes. My OS on my Mac G3 takes up about 50 megs of ram, sometimes more.

I just got a 128M upgrade and Dig Performer runs like a dream