Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM

Default A couple of key command requests.

There are a couple of things that really break my no-mouse PT workflow throughout my day and I was wondering if there are any gurus here who might know if there are non-mouse ways to do the following things:

1. Rename a track.
2. Clear all solos.
3. Access the input/output pop-ups (I can navigate with arrow keys once the pop-up is accessed, but can't access the pop-up without clicking).
4. Assign all selected tracks to an output (like option-shift selecting in the pop-up, but without having to mouse into the pop-up).

All of these would significantly speed up my workflow. I'm pretty sure you can't do these things without a mouse, so that being the case, maybe we could get some new key-based functionality for these things in a future release?

(btw- I know you can do a lot of these things with an Icon, but that's not in the cards for me, so no need to mention that. I do have an Artist Control though, so I do use that for clearing solos... just would be nice to have from the keyboard).

Thanks in advance for any input.
IMDB
Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 PM

Default Re: A couple of key command requests.

Quote:
1. Rename a track.
2. Clear all solos.
3. Access the input/output pop-ups (I can navigate with arrow keys once the pop-up is accessed, but can't access the pop-up without clicking).
4. Assign all selected tracks to an output (like option-shift selecting in the pop-up, but without having to mouse into the pop-up).
1. not in front of my rig now, but I think you can rename a track by double-clicking on the select key for that track on your control surface.

2. use X-OR solo cancelling. I prefer this mode to the default solo mode.

3. QuicKeys. I use ctrl-option-cmd-I to go to the I/O window.

4. (no idea, good luck on this)
Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 AM

Hi There
I don't know about rename a track, I just double click it and use the previous next buttons.

Like Reichmann I use X-OR soloing and shift s to solo the attentioned track from the keyboard. you can add extra solos with shift and then clear them all with shift s again.

3 and 4, no idea sorry.

Hope that helps a bit!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 AM

Thank you for the input.

On the track renaming, my Artist Control does not work that way, unless there's some setting somewhere that I'm not aware of. Are you sure you're able to do this, Reichman? What control surface are you using?

On the x-or soloing mode, I know that you could add solo tracks by shift clicking on them, but that gets you back on the mouse... complete defeats my intent. Is there a way to add soloed tracks with the keyboard that I don't know about?

On the input/output pop-up access, I think you misunderstood my intent, Reichman. I too have quickeys set up to access the IO page, but what I'm actually looking to do here is to access the track Input/Output pop-ups in the edit or mixer window without clicking on the pop-up. Does that make sense? If you know of a way to set up Quickeys to do that, do let me know! :)
IMDB
Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM

I confirmed this morning that my 003 will go to the rename dialog by double-clicking on the "select" button.

You can shift-solo with the control surface- again 003 here.

No idea on the last one. The answer might be buy an ICON.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM

Ah. I'm guessing that the Artist Control has yet to receive this functionality. Hopefully it will in the future. Though I get the idea that there is nobody at Avid actually working on this development anymore.

Thanks again for your input.
IMDB