Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 12:15 AM

Default Presonus DigiMax FS

Here is something I stumbled upon:
===================
PreSonus Audio has announced the new DigiMax FS — an 8-channel microphone preamplifier with 8 channels of 96K ADAT (dual SMUX) in/out, balanced analog direct outputs, and TRS inserts on each channel.

The DIGIMAX FS is the perfect solution to add eight class A preamps to expand any digital audio hardware system with ADAT optical light pipe I/O including the Digidesign 002, and 002 Rack, Yamaha DM series digital mixers, RME recording interfaces and of course the PreSonus FireStudio.

DigiMax FS Features:

8 class A microphone preamps w/ trim control
24-bit resolution, up to 96K sampling rate
96k ADAT input/output (dual SMUX)
direct outputs on every channel
inserts on every channel
word clock input/output

===================
Now I don't think the 002/002r support SMUX so the 96K via ADAT optical in is not going to work. You are still limited to 8 channels of 48K via the ADAT optical input. The 002/002r only have one ADAT input. The plus over the Digimax LT is that you get 8 channels of DAC for eight additional outs (again limited to 48K). For those looking to get a Digimax LT, this Digimax FS may be the way to go. Perhaps the next interface by Digidesign will support SMUX.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 06-28-2006, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Presonus DigiMax FS

Quote:
Here is something I stumbled upon:
===================
PreSonus Audio has announced the new DigiMax FS — an 8-channel microphone preamplifier with 8 channels of 96K ADAT (dual SMUX) in/out, balanced analog direct outputs, and TRS inserts on each channel.

The DIGIMAX FS is the perfect solution to add eight class A preamps to expand any digital audio hardware system with ADAT optical light pipe I/O including the Digidesign 002, and 002 Rack, Yamaha DM series digital mixers, RME recording interfaces and of course the PreSonus FireStudio.

DigiMax FS Features:

8 class A microphone preamps w/ trim control
24-bit resolution, up to 96K sampling rate
96k ADAT input/output (dual SMUX)
direct outputs on every channel
inserts on every channel
word clock input/output

===================
Now I don't think the 002/002r support SMUX so the 96K via ADAT optical in is not going to work. You are still limited to 8 channels of 48K via the ADAT optical input. The 002/002r only have one ADAT input. The plus over the Digimax LT is that you get 8 channels of DAC for eight additional outs (again limited to 48K). For those looking to get a Digimax LT, this Digimax FS may be the way to go. Perhaps the next interface by Digidesign will support SMUX.
Is there someplace else that it says it has 8 DAC outputs? because by reading that I would say that it doesnt. That up there say's it's more like a Octopre where you can use it as outboard pre's and run them to just say a console or you can use the ADAT outputs.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:47 AM

I did not find the DigiMax FS this on their website but I read the ad on the current issue of Electronic Musician. It has a picture of the back of the unit. I will check again tonight as I didn't bring the issue with me. I think you are right that these are just direct outs from the pres and not DAC outs from the DAW. Too bad as that would have been a great feature to have. Nevertheless, it is still a good investment for those considering the Digimax LT.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 06-28-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Nevertheless, it is still a good investment for those considering the Digimax LT.

I agree, I love my digimax LT, but I would not purchase this just because my digimax LT does what I need it to so I am just saving up to start getting outboard pre's and this new Lucid Converter.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=188301
Old 06-30-2006, 01:25 PM

The DigiMax FS does have DAC outputs.

Quote:
I did not find the DigiMax FS this on their website but I read the ad on the current issue of Electronic Musician. It has a picture of the back of the unit. I will check again tonight as I didn't bring the issue with me. I think you are right that these are just direct outs from the pres and not DAC outs from the DAW. Too bad as that would have been a great feature to have. Nevertheless, it is still a good investment for those considering the Digimax LT.
If you look at the back of the DigiMax FS, you'll see 24 TRS jacks. 8 are inserts, 8 are analogue outputs from the preamps, & the last 8 (closest to the ADAT) are DAC outputs. You can see 4 ADAT jacks. Two of them are output and the other 2 of are for input to the D/A converters, which come out the DAC outputs.

PreSonus has really done a great thing .. now if only DigiDesign will add BNC to their next generation 002.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
The DigiMax FS does have DAC outputs.

Quote:
If you look at the back of the DigiMax FS, you'll see 24 TRS jacks. 8 are inserts, 8 are analogue outputs from the preamps, & the last 8 (closest to the ADAT) are DAC outputs. You can see 4 ADAT jacks. Two of them are output and the other 2 of are for input to the D/A converters, which come out the DAC outputs.

PreSonus has really done a great thing .. now if only DigiDesign will add BNC to their next generation 002.
I just finally saw a pic I couldn't find a pic of the back of the back of the unit though, but I don't like that the inputs are on the front.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:44 PM

Yup, The latest ad includes a clear picture of the back and a clear caption showing the 8 DAC outputs in all their glory. The DAC's are a good solution for most in the Digi001/002 price range. At least you don't have to hide a Berringer piece of crap (sorry for being a snob against Berringer but it is what it is). On the other hand a Apogee is probably slightly beyond the budget of Digi001/002 owners (not all but most). I'm not going to dump my Digimax LE (which I Love) just yet but if I were buying my 8 channels of pres for the ADAT in's now, this is what I would seriously consider. I see the point about the inputs on the front but since I use a patchbay anyways it's not a real big issue. It's an asthetics thing though.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB