Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-07-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Recording Audio from Turntable/Mixer!!!

ANYONE PLEASE HELP... I'VE BEEN TRYING TO RECORD FROM MY DJ SETUP THRU MY MBOX 2 AND ALL I GET IS ONE SIDE OF RECORDING. I'VE TRIED RECORDING IN MONO BUT THEN I GET NO SIGNAL WHATSOEVER. IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM PLEASE HELP. IF NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO FIX THAT THEN IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN COPY WHAT IS RECORDED ON THE LEFT OR RIGHT SIDE TO THE MATCH THE OTHER? THANKS
Old 12-07-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Recording Audio from Turntable/Mixer!!!

a) You're in the wrong forum

b) You haven't explained how you have the cables from your DJ Mixer wired to your MBox

Sounds like a simple (mis)wiring issue.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-07-2005, 05:58 PM

Welcome to the DUC, .tel -

Seeing as your new to the DUC, allow me to give you a few pointers to help you—now and in the long run.

1) Typing ALL CAPS is regarded as shouting, online. No need to shout, really.

2) You posted your question on the TDM forum. The DUC features a dedicated forum for ProTools LE, the software used with the mbox hardware you are using. Check it out.

3) Also, make sure you post on a forum’s platform-specific subset. For example, if you were a PC user, you would positively be shortchanging yourself by asking Mac users about many things. (Not all third-party ProTools-compatible software is available to either PC or Mac users, and compatibility issues differ substantially.)

4) Learn to search and use the archives. Just about every topic known to ProTools users has pretty much been discussed many, many times. (No, I’m not referring to your specific problem of today). Searching the archive gives you access to the collective wealth of knowledge of the DUC community in near-instant fashion, as opposed to having to wait around for responses to trickle in (especially over a weekend). Also, some very knowledgeable folks will respond to a topic once only - knowing that the information is now available through, you guessed it, the archive.

Unlike many software/hardware vendors, Digidesign is very thorough (and generous) with its online presence. Get the most out of your investment by making use of all the resources found around here. You’ll be glad you did.

---

Now, to address your specific problem…

Assuming you connected things correctly, and assuming that your cables are fine, your description sounds like you are feeding a stereo signal to a mono input. You need to Record-enable two mono (or one stereo) tracks in ProTools, in order to properly recording your particular source. You must also be sure to “define” (enable, make available) your hardware inputs on the software side of things. Read the chapter about “I/O Setup” in your reference manual. [PT Reference Manual, Chapter 7, pg. 67 (v6.9); pg. 69 (v7.0)]

Last, but not least, I hope that when you write “…RECORD FROM MY DJ SETUP…” you are referring to the output of a DJ mixer, and not the “raw” output of a turntable. The latter scenario requires a proper preamp (with standard RIAA eq curve) in order to get things right.

Your everyday home stereo receiver typically features a dedicated input with such features. Otherwise, Radial Engineering just released the J33, a great little (portable) phono preamp (that obviates the need to cannibalize your stereo in order to record turntable signals.

IHTH and good luck!

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 12-07-2005, 09:00 PM

Hey guys sorry...the caps was just a way of getting people to notice my post...as it was my first post i apologize for my ignorance. i have since fixed this problem and i appreciate the help. once again sorry for improper use of the search i am a brand new mbox owner and i kind of panicked. thanks again.
stay well.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:44 AM

Are you using RCA outs from your DJ mixer into Mbox line ins? Or do you have it connected some other way?