How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2018, 01:03 PM

Default Looming output to input in HD Omni

Hey folks,

Signed up to ask this question cause I haven't found answers anywhere and can't afford a support ticket atm. I recently inherited an HD Omni at a new workstation this month, and I'm having trouble with the the simple task of getting audio out of the hardware output, into a guitar pedal, and then back into the unit for re-recording.

I'd like to use the TRS Mirrors for Analog Out 7-8 to send to my guitar pedals. I then wanna take the output there and bring it back to Channel 1 on the Omni.

I'm not sure what's going wrong. This is a fairly easy setup with my workstation at home, but I'm using a different interface (a Focusrite one). Anyone have a step-by-step?
Old 02-02-2018, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Looming output to input in HD Omni

Which Focusrite unit are you using and how is it connected to Omni (if at all)?

Are you using Pro Tools or another DAW?

If using one of the front inputs on the Omni have you selected appropriate signal level (Instrument in this case) using Mic.. Line.. Instrument buttons?

Walk us through exactly how you currently have everything setup with all details of what cables are going where.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 02-02-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Which Focusrite unit are you using and how is it connected to Omni (if at all)?
At home, I'm using an 18i20. I'd take a patch cable from the ch. 10 Line Output and in the Focusrite software (Mixcontrol), I'd set that channel to play at full volume, at all times by shift-clicking the proper output on the Monitor settings or whatever it's called. Then I'd throw that to my guitar pedal(s), and then take the patch cable to input one on the front panel.

Quote:
Are you using Pro Tools or another DAW?
90% of my production is done in Reaper on my home consulting, etc. I do have access to Pro Tools at this new workstation though through the company, so I'm comfortable with an explanation in either (though I intend on transferring that how-to knowledge to Reaper!)

Quote:
If using one of the front inputs on the Omni have you selected appropriate signal level (Instrument in this case) using Mic.. Line.. Instrument buttons?
Correct! I've attempted to put it into the Channel 1 Combo Jack on the front of the unit, using INST. I've also tried using the send/returns on the back end of the unit, but I imagine those have no effect unless a mic is plugged in to them, which I'm not using. This is primarily in-the-box sound design. Some combinations of settings result in gnarly feedback, others with nothing, others with what seems like the correct settings but the signal strength is anemic.

Quote:
Walk us through exactly how you currently have everything setup with all details of what cables are going where.
Currently I have it sort-of working after a few hours of experimentation by Mirroring TRS outputs from Output 7-8, then taking TRS Out 1 (mirroring analogue output 7) and running a patch cable to my FX, and running it back to TRS Input 4. It "works" but the signal feels significantly degraded and there's very little ability to control the volume (can either the output or input gains be controlled directly from the front of the unit in any way?)

I very much appreciate your assistance!!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaudioperson View Post
Currently I have it sort-of working after a few hours of experimentation by Mirroring TRS outputs from Output 7-8, then taking TRS Out 1 (mirroring analogue output 7) and running a patch cable to my FX, and running it back to TRS Input 4.
Looks like you're taking a line level feed from the output and plugging into instrument level (pedals) input.

The best way to hook the Omni & 18i20 IMHO would be to use s/pdif to connect the two together.

You'd need two 75ohm cables,
1 for 18i20>Omni
2nd for Omni>18i20

Then setup digital connection in Focusrite software (also in DAW yor're using).

Use whichever unit has best ADA converters for Master and other as slave. Of course both units would have to be set with same sample rate if it doesn't happen automatically.

I'd be inclined to plug pedals in front of whichever unit you're plugging into instead of trying to create a pedal FX loop as I don't think either unit has an Instrument level output.

HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 02-02-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The best way to hook the Omni & 18i20 IMHO would be to use s/pdif to connect the two together.

You'd need two 75ohm cables,
1 for 18i20>Omni
2nd for Omni>18i20

Then setup digital connection in Focusrite software (also in DAW yor're using).

Use whichever unit has best ADA converters for Master and other as slave. Of course both units would have to be set with same sample rate if it doesn't happen automatically.
Apologies for the miscommunication - I'm not trying to connect the two. The focusrite is my home unit, this Omni is one that's being supplied to me at my new job. My only intent was to describe the difference between my two setups - it worked reasonably well at home. However, thank you for the heads up on that. Useful knowledge to have regardless. The other stuff you said is far more immediately useful!

Quote:
Looks like you're taking a line level feed from the output and plugging into instrument level (pedals) input.

[...]

I'd be inclined to plug pedals in front of whichever unit you're plugging into instead of trying to create a pedal FX loop as I don't think either unit has an Instrument level output.
This is most likely my oversight, I think. I'm doing some research on how to turn a Line Level signal into an Instrument level signal. It looks like I need something like this is where my research is leading to. Once I've got the Line output from the HD Omni to an instrument level, I can pop them into my pedals no problem and then either use another similar box to bring them back to line level if I needed to, or in the case of the HD Omni, since I don't need to, just switch the Omni's front panel to Instrument level input!

Sound correct? Thank you, again!
Old 02-03-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaudioperson View Post
Once I've got the Line output from the HD Omni to an instrument level, I can pop them into my pedals no problem and then either use another similar box to bring them back to line level if I needed to, or in the case of the HD Omni, since I don't need to, just switch the Omni's front panel to Instrument level input!

Sound correct? Thank you, again!
Correct.

Another way would be to s/pdif (as mentioned above) a unit with an FX loop I/O built into it, such as an Eleven Rack. If you're willing to spend $100 on that Radial, you could probably pick up a used 11R for not a whole lot more. They are a great unit and make re-amping a breeze and would give you what you're looking for as well as a whole bunch of FX, Amp sims & Cabs. The other benefit to doing it this way is you'll only be passing the signal through the Digital/Analogue converters once instead of twice doing it your way.

HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 02-03-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:41 AM

Pro tools wants to see the same number channel send as the return so if your send is on channel seven then you return from the pedal must go back into input 7 on the OMNI.

Read up on using hardware inserts in the manual.

essentially in the io setup page, there is a tab that is for hardware inserts.
this allows you to assign the hardware input and output to your pedal.

then in the PT mixer, you simply select your pedal from the inserts plugin list - which now has a new category called "i/o"

everything will be automatically timed aligned
Old 02-04-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan IceWood View Post
Pro tools wants to see the same number channel send as the return so if your send is on channel seven then you return from the pedal must go back into input 7 on the OMNI.

Read up on using hardware inserts in the manual.

essentially in the io setup page, there is a tab that is for hardware inserts.
this allows you to assign the hardware input and output to your pedal.

then in the PT mixer, you simply select your pedal from the inserts plugin list - which now has a new category called "i/o"

everything will be automatically timed aligned
What you're saying is right, but doesn't address the signal level mis-match.

HD 96I/O